1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst cover ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I heard the Sheryl Crow version on the radio the other day and wanted to claw my eyes out.

Since I was in the age group during the whole "boy-band thing" (I was in eighth grade in 1999), I actually heard Britney's version of Satisfaction before I heard the Stones' version. However, once I heard the Stones version, I actually recoiled at the thought that she even attempted it. It's pretty awful.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

More craptacular than her cover of "I Think We're Alone Now"?

3. EStreetJoe

Suzannah Hoff's cover of "Feel Like Making Love" was pretty bad
    and her band, The Bangles did a bad job with Simon & Garfunkle's "Hazy Shade of Winter"

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Good grief, that sucked.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

True, but earlier in their career, the Bangles had impeccable taste in both selection and performance of covers, with terrific Byrdsy takes on Alex Chilton, Jules Shear and Prince. Things came off the rails pretty quickly after that, though. Some idiot convinced Hoffs she was going to be A Star, when all along the thing she was best suited for was to be the "featured singer" among four relative equals.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That might be the winner. Or loser.

But she's still unspeakably hot, even in her late 40s.

7. EStreetJoe

more bad covers:

Forever Young - Rod Stewart (Dylan)

Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart (Van Morrison)

Havin' A Party - Rod Stewart (Cooke)

Twistin' the Night Away - Rod Stewart (Cooke)

Layla (acoustic) - Eric Clapton (covering his own song from Derek & the Dominos)

Dancing in the Dark - Bob Dylan (Springsteen) ... somewhere I have a cassette of Dylan doing this in concert

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of my favorite one-liners: "Listening to Clapton's acoustic 'Layla' is exactly what watching Michael Jordan play Nerf basketball with his grandchildren when he's 65 years old is going to be like."

9. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

What the Farg was Cheap Trick -- a band I love -- thinking with that shotty rendition of "Don't be Cruel" back in the day.
    It has to be the winner of this contest, hands down.

10. i'd add tom waits's downtown train to the list of stewart monstrosities. it's so much worse than the original, and people seem to think it's stewart's song, which annoys me.

11. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I actually thought that wasn't half bad.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Along those lines.. the Police reworked "Don't Stand So Close To Me" for a greatest hits disc and it was awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted