1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Contracts Ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Apr 29, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jon Koncak wants in on this discussion. Six years for $13 mill in 1989 for a guy who didn't even start. He was making Jordan money and he didn't even start. I've always had a bigger problem with players without big upside getting big contracts than frontline players who flame out.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Koncak was the Patient Zero of bad contracts.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Jim McIlvaine got 33.6 million over seven years as a free agent in 1996 after averaging 2.3 points, 2.9 rebounds and two blocks. The last 10.4 million was paid to him after he was waived with two years left on his deal.
    His best season was the first year of the deal -- 3.8 points and four rebounds.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dan Uggla maybe? I think the Braves are paying him $13M to play for the Nats this season. In related news, he had 8 RBI against the Braves this week.

Also, one of the Uptons has a terrible deal.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Matt Harrison with the Texas Rangers. He's been paid $21.4 million the last two years and has thrown a total of 27 innings.

He's owed $26.4 million through 2016 (plus a $2 million buyout in 2017), and is out until at least June this year, if he pitches at all. He had spinal fusion surgery last year.

Ryan Howard, Shin-Soo Choo and Prince Fielder probably have to be on the list, but Miguel Cabrera (who's still owed $270 million through 2023 including this year) is probably going to make them all look like bargains in about 3 years.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ricky Williams has the honor of signing the all-time worst contract for an athlete. He made league minimum his first three years and something like $5 million of his signing bonus was deferred. He only made one of the incentives in his contract, so he only made a little more than $3 million his rookie season. Edge James made $15 million in his rookie season and he was picked one slot ahead of Ricky. Not sure if Williams made much more than that in his entire career.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Who was the NFL draft pick who was given $150,000 a year for the rest of his life?

I cannot remember his name. I think he played for the Falcons.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yup. That one's right at the top.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I saw this thread, Jon Koncak was the first name that came to mind. I was covering the NBA then and I remember Detroit signed Koncak to a ridiculous offer sheet because they knew the Hawks had no backup plan if they lost him and would have to match it. Koncak averaged five points and six rebounds per game the previous season and wound up making more money than Magic, Bird and Jordan.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wasn't Hot Rod Williams the highest-paid player in the NBA for a while in the early '90s despite being the Cavs' 6th man?

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dunno, but he might have been the highest-paid college player while at Tulune.

Draft saved Draft deleted