1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. KG

KG Active Member

The worst company I've worked for was actually a daycare center. They charged the parents $200/week, but paid their employers $7/hour. They never would supply the products needed to follow the curriculum, then they'd blame the lead teachers for not doing their jobs when they didn't do all the projects. I always spent my own money on supplies for the kids. They also always kept me WAY over the legal ratio of teachers/children. When the state inspectors came, they'd bounce a couple of people around from room to room to make it look like the ratio was kept in check. This is in a daycare that's in what's supposed to be a nicer area of NW metro ATL.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Don't want to threadjack here, but day cares are some of the most notoriously mismanaged businesses out there. My wife and I looked into opening a day care a few years back and there's so many regulations that you must follow. Every day care that we visited to do some research told us how they skirted those rules and got away with it.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

She should have sued him. Surely there's some lawyer who would take the case and figure he endangered her and thus affected her state of mind.
    When you get the rare opportunity in this shitty business by all means ... SUE!!

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Boone edges out CNHI in a photo finish. Compared to those two, MG was a Silicon Valley startup with Aero chairs, free snack machines and a pool table where you could goof off all day.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

still this one ... nothing's changed since the first page of the thread

6. If we count student papers, I've worked at five, with my three real ones being at Media General, Times Community and JRC. I include the student papers only because the original student paper I worked at was unquestionably the worst.

7. MoeLarryCurly

MoeLarryCurly New Member

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree to a point. I guess my point was that there's a lot of people I've worked with that have only experienced one company through their whole careers and many of them automatically think that company is the embodiment of evil without the benefit of having worked elsewhere.

Sometimes they're right, many times they're not. I work in a company that is absolutely reviled on this site, but they're not the worst I've worked for, because I've had the perspective of worse shops.

9. Yeah, I've not had an experience like that either. I've worked for JRC, which is reviled on this site, and had an excellent experience. If they called me up tomorrow with a job offer, I'd be on I-70 in about as long as it took to pack.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For all of the above, what I've experienced has had more to do with the shop than with the company.

For instance, one company I've worked for in a couple of places is Wal-Mart cheap, but has the institutional culture of leaving sports the fuck alone. Me likey.

On the other hand, I've worked for a couple of other companies that were good in reputation but had (or later hired) pinhead ME's that I had little use for.

Draft saved Draft deleted