1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Have we lost our minds?
    House of Dean and everyone else.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is like acting who's the tallest midget.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

That's wrong?

4. JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC
    JRC

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Worked for a Gannett shop out of school. You know the kind of place, decent paper, smallish town, stay for 20 months, maybe two years. All the male reporters were paid more than the female. We weren't supposed to know that, but we did. Salaries were completely arbitrary. The dude covering city news, writing far less than I because no one writes more than a sports writer on a two-person staff in a small paper, also lied about finishing his degree. He made something like $50 more dollars a week than I, which was a lot when we were both under $300 per week.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'll go with the machine shop I started in while in college, where the supervisor told me if I claimed worker's comp for the pinched nerve that screwed up my back for four years afterward, I was getting fired. Like an idiot I didn't file the claim.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gannett had too many rules for my taste.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

In my lifetime, I've worked for an oil field company, a fast-food chain, New York Times, Wick Publishing, Thompson (briefly) and Gannett.

Gannett was easily the worst company for which I worked. Thompson may have won, but like I said, I worked for Thompson for only one month before Gannett purchased the property.

And to think at one point in my life, I thought NYT was a cheap company. That was before I worked for Gannett.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I have. I've seen worse.

10. JRC...
    Still laugh at this:
    While working for a JRC paper, I had the opportunity to interview at a Gannett paper. Made it all the way to the executive editor for what should have been the clinching chat.
    Then he said: "I must admit I'm a bit surprised you haven't asked me anything about how things have changed here since Gannett bought us..."
    Me: "I work for JRC. I've heard the horror stories from your employees about problems they've had with your paper since Gannett took over. I've told them that if you listen from my perspective, they sound like they work for JRC, too. But none of their stories about working for Gannett sound any worse than what I've experienced with JRC. And I've dealt with that for four years."
    Needless to say, my Miss California-like honesty probably kept me from getting the job.
    I later escaped from the JRC compound, and remain at large.

11. sysimms

sysimms New Member

QUEBECOR

Among the cutbacks, they took water out of the newsroom

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have to tell you, kindred Wisconsin brother Bubbler: I have NEVER thought the place I was working was the worst company. Not once time.

I can look back and see that some of those companies were contenders. But I never felt it. And frankly, some of the places were great when I worked there -- Times-Mirror/Tribune coming immediately to mind -- but not so much anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted