1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I actually don't feel I've worked for any bad companies -- dodged the worst offenders on that list, or caught them before they went "bad" -- but I have worked for a couple of bad publishers, a few bad EEs/MEs and several bad SEs.

Worst "company" was one that I had a regular freelance arrangement with, and it screwed me over for a reason that most of you simply would not believe if I typed it.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The worst one is JRC. No doubt. Can't be any worse, it's not allowed by law.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I thought Phil Esposito was involved with the Lightning. ;)

4. Gatehouse. Nothing else in my career even comes close.

5. jemaz

jemaz Member

Moddy:

Park indeed owned television stations, including Channel 10 in Roanoke and Channel 6 in Richmond, which were a huge part of the reasons that back in the day Channel 7 in Roanoke and Channel 12 in Richmond were so much better.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've been pretty lucky in that regard. I worked for a real nut when I was in the PR game back in the 90s, but even then the checks always cashed.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Solid.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't you mean the Lighting? </inside joke for those who attended a mini-SportsJournalists.com get-together in D.C. in 2007>

9. I'm beginning to think not a lot of you have worked for Stephens.

10. theredshirtsenior

theredshirtsenior New Member

Deja Vu Strip Clubs. The have horrible daycare.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

These polls are dumb. Nearly everyone thinks their company is the worst without having had the benefit to work in the majority of others. The grass is rarely greener.

12. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I've worked in several different chains, included a couple not listed here. I think post-KRT-buyout McClatchy was the worst I've ever seen. Good folks who crapped their pants when they discovered they were in over their heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted