1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company you've worked for...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SanitizedSamolean, May 19, 2009.

?

Just for fun...masochism-style...what's the worst newspaper company you've worked for?

1. Hearst

2.2%
  2. Belo

1.1%
  3. American Consolidated Media

1.1%
  4. Stephens Media

3.3%
  5. CNHI

9.9%
  6. Gannett

17.6%
  7. McClatchy

3.3%
  8. News Corp.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Journal Register

9.9%
  10. Tribune Co.

4.4%
  11. Freedom Comm.

2.2%
  12. Other (Please reveal)

45.1%
  1. Reading through threads, I realize that I've worked for some real pigs. However, I have not worked for CNHI, although I've never heard a single good thing about them. Name your "other" if that's your choice.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How the hell did you leave off Singleton?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or Lee and Hagadon.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My first daily paper was American Publishing, and while I was there it was bought out by some outfit that turned out to be some of Conrad Black's cronies running a side project. Shady as all get-out.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Representin' ... Quebecor!

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gatehouse Media. No 401k, health benefits sucked too.

They were the dumbass company that had the "thanks a million" campaign.

If you had an idea that made the company 50 million dollars, they would give you one million of it.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm not voting until Media General is put on the list.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I've worked for three (none of which are on that list, oddly, though one has been bought). They were all about the same. None did much to win any loyalty.
    Outside of maybe Newhouse, at least before a few months ago, and a few other special cases, a newspaper company is a newspaper company these days. They're all helpless and scared and squeezing wherever they can, and newsroom staff is very squeezable, very disposable. I'm not sure what we expect.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Give me a J!!!!
    Give me an R!!!!....

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hell, I thought American Publishing Co. itself was a Black and Radler venture. Some of their friends still have their fingers in the till in my neck of the woods. Talking about these guys, by any chance?
    http://www.communitymediagroup.com/about_us/

12. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

When I was 16, I worked at Bennigan's as a "server's assistant." That was the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted