1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company to work for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2006.

?

What's the worst newspaper chain to work for?

1. Boone

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. CNHI

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Copley

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Cox

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Gannett

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Heartland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hearst

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. JRC

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  10. Knight-Ridder

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. McClatchy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Ogden

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Patton

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Tribune

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Other

37 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Stock alert 7.20 HHAHHAHAHAH

Maybe they should limit their lawsuits

Settlement reached in 1995 defamation suit against Pa. paper

By The Associated Press
    WEST CHESTER, Pa. — A defamation case that some First Amendment advocates said could have a chilling effect on Pennsylvania media has been settled confidentially.

The settlement in the 1995 lawsuit against the Daily Local News of West Chester came after three days of testimony before a Chester County jury. Terms of the deal, reached on July 13, were not released.

“The case has been amicably resolved,” said Geoffrey R. Johnson, attorney for former Parkesburg Council President James B. Norton.

Norton and former Mayor Alan M. Wolfe sued the newspaper over quotes printed in April 1995.

In a story headlined, “Slurs, insults drag town into controversy,” reporter Tom Kennedy wrote that Councilman William T. Glenn Sr. accused the men of being “liars,” “criminals,” “queers,” “draft dodgers” and “child molesters.”

Norton, Wolfe and their wives all testified during the trial about the humiliation they suffered as a result of the allegations.

Former editors at the paper testified that they did not verify Glenn’s allegations but believed the story called his credibility into question. Glenn later lost his bid for re-election, which they testified was proof of that point.

Amy B. Ginensky, a lawyer representing Kennedy, then-editor William Caufield and newspaper owner Troy Publishing Co. Inc., declined to comment. The Journal Register Co., which owns Troy Publishing, also had no comment.

A Chester County jury in March 2000 awarded Wolfe and Norton each $17,500 in punitive and compensatory damages from Glenn. But jurors also decided that Kennedy, Caufield and Troy Publishing were not liable, in part because of an instruction by the trial judge concerning the “neutral reportage privilege.”

The state Supreme Court, ruling in October 2004 in Norton v. Glenn, affirmed the lower court ruling in favor of the elected officials but ordered a new trial to decide the journalists’ liability. That decision was appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which declined in March 2005 to hear the case — setting the stage for this week’s retrial in Chester County.

First Amendment advocates said the decision leaves Pennsylvania media legally vulnerable when reporting comments by public figures and could chill news coverage of political campaigns, where charges and countercharges are commonplace.

The state Supreme Court in the 2004 ruling said the media have no absolute constitutional protection when reporting defamatory comments made by reputable public figures, even when describing the comments in a neutral manner.

“This decision leaves a pall over other reporters ... and the people will hear less about their public officials than I think they should,” said David Kairys, a Temple University professor of constitutional law.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

When I worked at a Freedom newspaper, in the early '90s, they put out a lame company newsletter called "The Freedom Family."

Dude who was pretty colorful penned a little number about this outfit to the tune, of course, to "The Addams Family."

All I can remember is it started out, "They're stingy and they're shitty ..."

That seems to be enough.

We got an in-town mileage stipend of $75 per month, but for out-of-town trips, it was 16 fuckin' cents per mile. And some of those trips tended to be lengthy, on account of the fact that we're talking about the border, and Corpus Christi was 2 1/2 hours away. Houston, more like 6.

Then again, I worked for a family owned paper that paid OK but brought treating employees like camel shit to an art form.

Bastards.

They were stingy and shitty, too.

3. hawk

hawk Guest

Hammer=meet= nail on the head

4. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, don't ever let someone tell you your hate for JRC is overboard. while i've never worked for them, i know a coupla folks that do. from what i understand, a common exit interview quote by ex-employees is 'burn in hell mother fuckers.'

i don't feel it, but i sense it from every JRC person i speak with.

6. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Worked for CNHI for about a year and was the worst experience of the 20-plus I have I have in the biz. They absolutely will look you (and their customers) square in the eye and lie with conviction. True story ... CNHI pulled presses out of our shop to create a "central printing facility." We were printing other newspapers besides ours at the time, 7-8 per week and a HUGE part of our revenue source. Not wanting to lose the revenue, CNHI told us to tell the customers our presses would be down for a few weeks ... all the while they were unbolting and moving them 50 miles away. I'd love nothing more than to see that outfit go belly-up when it comes time to pay off the note to the Alabama teacher's retirement system next year.

7. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

And, in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Motherfuckers.

[​IMG]

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think your yellow bird's finger is showing off the love he makes and the love he takes.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got to vote for Ogden. I've worked for a Gannett paper and an Ogden publication. At Ogden, the mileage rate -- 29 cents -- goes down when gas prices go down, and remain at the low rate when gas is at its highest. The laptops are garbage. The office computers are from the early 90s. They employ idiots and wonder why the copy is weak. They limit wage positions while killing those on salary and wonder why people want to leave so desperately. First to demand more work and the first to complain about the money that it takes. And there is no recognition for a job well done.

And, worst of all, the publisher is a homer who is only concerned about one school in the coverage area while chosing to neglect the rest, including a university.

10. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

When will you be "unbolting" the farm BOB? No one wants your shitty ass product. Your maker is making its way down to the stage now. Enjoy asshole

11. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/FineOnMedia/archives/2006/06/newspaper_compa.html

12. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Draft saved Draft deleted