1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company to work for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2006.

?

What's the worst newspaper chain to work for?

1. Boone

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. CNHI

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Copley

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Cox

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Gannett

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Heartland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hearst

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. JRC

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  10. Knight-Ridder

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. McClatchy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Ogden

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Patton

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Tribune

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Other

37 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Be careful. You don't want the moral arbiter of all things Booth to come down on you...

2. nebraska_rules

nebraska_rules New Member

What about Media General? I'm a candidate for a writing position at one of their papers. Good beneifts? Are they top-driven like Gannett? your thoughts?

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I've never heard anything bad about them....I think I know some people who worked in Dothan, Ala., and they never ripped it. That's about all you can hope for nowadays...to find a place that people don't bitch about venomously.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A couple of the people who have worked at their smaller Va./N.C. papers and post on here have had bad experiences. Myself, I never had a problem with them. But the other chains I worked for were Bone and CNHI, so maybe I'm not the best judge here.

5. How's the Freedom train still running? Seriously. I worked for the min the mid-1990s and despite their Libertarian values, they instituted several new policies that included random searches of employee's private automobiles in the company parking lot, invasive drug testing and what not.

Been awhile since I have had to deal with them though so perhaps they have changed, no?

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

From what I've heard, Freedom's flagship paper, The Orange County Register, is a snakepit. Reporters hide their Rolodexes from their coworkers and if the bureaus get a hold of a good story, the main office people swoop in like vultures and nudge them back to the zoning board meetings.

7. Grey

Grey Member

worked at one of their biggies for five years (mid- to late-1990s). very cheap then, but salaries have improved at said place. they don't issue credit cards, which is strange, and they do question expensive meals. mileage not too hot, either. but all in all, comparatively speaking, not that bad.

as for the posts on KR, i worked for one of their outfits for a year. would've stayed but another opportunity knocked. great to work for in my experience. the shop i worked for insisted u have a nice steak dinner or whatnot each night u were on the road and no expenses ever were questioned. also got home delivery of my paper and the competition's. was sorry to see them sell out.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yikes.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We've for m---------ing snakes in the m---------ing newsroom!

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thank you.

12. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

Yeah...I imagine 90% of the other votes are for paxton.  Corporate stays out of editorial, but they make terribly shortsided financial decisions. Imagine it being the year 2006 and your newspaper doesn't feel that giving it's staff cell phones is neccesary.

Draft saved Draft deleted