1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst company to work for

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 6, 2006.

?

What's the worst newspaper chain to work for?

1. Boone

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Brown

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. CNHI

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Copley

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Cox

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Gannett

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  7. Heartland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hearst

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. JRC

29 vote(s)
    19.3%
  10. Knight-Ridder

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  11. McClatchy

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Ogden

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  13. Patton

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Tribune

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  15. Other

37 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The problem with the R-J is that it DOES rake in cash with all of its supplements and advertorials. They have no incentive to improve coverage.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Never had any problems with Gannett, personally. The RLRN type of shit gets old quickly, and they skim as much as anyone else. But I'd work for them again, in a heartbeat, over some other chains on that list.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

MU, Please tell me your thoughts on KR. I'm interested to know.

4. Grey

Grey Member

Donrey is no more. They changed the name to Stephens Media. Sad bunch there.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I know Gannett isn't bad overall to work for, but I've been through cities with Gannett papers (Des Moines comes to mind) and thinking the paper could be so much better. The C-J looks like it's improved somewhat with the remake, and I've always liked Indy.

That said, I'll stay away from the horror-story companies, thanks for the warning.

6. Job Sisyphus

Job Sisyphus New Member

[​IMG]

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It was more of a statement referring to the fact that KR was sold to Mcclatchy than anything else.
    I liked working for KR. Never had any problems associated with the corporate side.

8. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Newhouse doesn't make it, eh?

Actually, I can understand why. In general, I can find nothing but one bad thing to say about Newhouse. I'm not sure if my 'problem' stems from Newhouse, or one of its papers in Michigan in particular.

But in case it's a Newhouse thing, one word of advise ... be very, very careful if you are an employee with 15-plus years of experience. The paper in Michigan has fired more than 30 employees (maybe as many as 40 now) since 2000, and a majority of the terminations were for non work-related reasons. For a point of reference, there was one firing from 1988-2000 of which I am aware (sorry, JB. Still miss ya).

If they see a chance to cut payroll and replace you with someone cheaper, at least at this paper in Michigan, they will jump at the chance.

But Newhouse will never lay you off.

9. ARD

ARD Member

True enough. They might ask you to move to circulation or something equally unpleasant, though.

10. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Great news for the cock-sacs at JRC...July7 --Stock hits 52 week low for second consecutive day ..bad times a -comin

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

MU - i picked up the jest of the post, but i noticed KR had received votes on this thread. i've never worked for KR, but have heard nothing but wonderful things about them. i thought everybody enjoyed working for ridder ... until they started laying everyone off.

hell, maybe i just answered my own question.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Again, I never had a problem with them -- through an internship and multiple stringing gigs in college or at a full-time job. I've seen bad, and KR wasn't it comparitively.

Draft saved Draft deleted