1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Commissioner in sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by greg.zeck, Dec 11, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bettman, Even if he is simply the "face" of the owners, he is nonetheless the guy who's supposed to get them in line and rule the sport.

They guy has already lost one season; got salary rollbacks, and is trying to get more salary rollbacks simply what 5 years later? Owners could not "keep it in the pants" for 5 years? Ridiculous. Likely lost another year.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They'll play, this whole thing has been so damn predictable

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Touche, but not sure that's on him as much as it is on the owners as a collective, who were hell-bent on destroying gains made in the previous 20 years by the union (and on Donald Fehr, who just so happens to find himself in a similar position today. Hmm ...)

Selig was technically in charge, but he didn't have nearly the control over baseball then as he does now.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The strike is on Jerry Reinsdorf more than anyone. Not coincidentally, he was at the forefront of the NBA lockout. Greedy fucking bastard.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bettman is the worst by a mile of the four major North American leagues. But I really think we're being too provincial here. What about Sepp Blatter?

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Seconded (or fiftiethed)

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'll see you Bernie Ecclestone and raise you Jacques Rogge.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Max Mosely? Wait, he's gone now, I think.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

C'mon now. Just because he's the son of a noted fascist and likes to be whipped by hookers dressed as Nazis...

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Got to agree that Bettman is the worst, primarily because of the labor situation. I could see some benefits from having to get a new deal with a salary cap in 2005, but this current mess was totally avoidable. Even the NBA, where half the players can't spell CAT, got a belated deal done last season. Sheesh!

I don't like Stern but respect him for how he's handled some shady characters (like Tim Donaghy) and how he's been able to successfully market a league plaqued by too many thugs.

Goodell runs hot and cold. He seems too harsh at times, but he also has a reputation and image that is worth billions of dollars to protect and doesn't want his league overrun by a bunch of thugs.

Selig didn't do enough to intervene during the steroid era and the league still needs a salary cap. But the game seems somewhat stable.

I would limit all of these commissioners to 10-year terms, however.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Good to know David Duke posts here.

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Maybe he thinks they're all related to Terry Bradshaw.

Draft saved Draft deleted