1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Commissioner in sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by greg.zeck, Dec 11, 2012.

1. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

Curious to see what people believe... Which of the commissioners from the four major sports in the U.S., which would you say is the worst? Who is the best?

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I couldn't tell you who the NHL commissioner is, but I'd rank them Selig, Goodell and Stern in that order. If I could rank them all third, I would.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Vince McMahon [/Ric Flair]

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Vince McMahon

5. heyabbott

damn you sepll chek

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is interesting to look at them all. Bettman is viewed as the obvious fourth, but NHL revenues have expanded from 400 mil to 3 billion during his term. Granted a lot of the "success" of each of the commissioners has more to do with the expansion of TV packages more than anything they've done personally.
    I think Selig is the most underrated. It's easy to bash him, but MLB is better than it was when he took over.
    And also hard to judge Goodell. Don't know how much of bad stuff is his doing, or he's simply dealing with it.
    And maybe its just me, but Stern doesn't seem to be as good of a commissioner since Jordan retired.

7. heyabbott

The high school to NBA rule and the one-and-done rule has harmed both college basketball and the NBA. Beyond the skills that many young NBA players lack, for whatever reason, fans have lost player identification because they don't see them for 2-3 years in the March tourney. 20 years ago most regular college BB fans could recognize every name in both rounds of the draft, excluding Euros. NOT LATELY
    Is that Sterns fault? it should be, he's in charge of the game presented to the fans and the NBA is now 3rd to the NFL and MLB, IMHO, because fans don't recognize the players.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Gary Bettman absolute worst.

9. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

From the All-Star game to the competitive imbalance (hi oop) to the ridiculous MLB.tv blackout policy to revamping draft spending rules, etc., I have to go with Selig.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Bettman — no other commissioner has forced as many labour stoppages as Bettman or lost near as many games. He is the only commissioner to force the cancellation of an entire season and then just seven years later have his league on the verge of doing the very same thing again. Yes he has grown league revenues exponentially, but every other major professional league has also seen their revenues skyrocket over the last 20 years. He has forced expansion where the league has no business expanding and they have become a giant drain on the rest of the league. He has also moved teams out of good markets to add to it. The league makes its money off of about 10-12 of the teams, depending on the year. That's it. And his record for vetting out potential new owners is laughable at best. He is a joke.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also, whoever is the commissioner of the Big East needs serious consideration here.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

1) Roger Goodell - Yes, he can come across as a bully. But, if anything, it's probably because Paul Tagliabue was too lax. Goodell needed to drop the hammer on some things and did so. But he has overreached.

2) Bud Selig - MLB has continued to grow, but loses any chance to move higher because his blind eye toward PEDs is troubling.

3) David Stern - Brilliant marketer, not the strong commissioner too many seem to think he is. The fact that the guy who wants to market individual players cannot find a way to market great teams like the San Antonio Spurs is baffling.

4) Gary Bettman - Three lockouts in less than 20 years. Trying to use lockouts as primary resorts rather than absolute last resorts. Getting his rear end handed to him by Donald Fehr now. Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted