1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst coach rant you've suffered through?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Mar 3, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just finished going through a tape of a convo with an opposing coach from a game this weekend. Six-Minute transcript. Got about thirty seconds of usuable quotes because the guy went off on a rant about the officating.

Now normally, i would chalk this up to the "I need to ask better questions" category, but the more i think about it, the more i can't help but blame the coach for sidetracking us and talking about something that wasn't even relevant to the game that took place and no matter what we all did, we couldn't get him to stay on topic.

I talked to the two reporters that were with me during the interview afterwards and they both felt the same way. Best example...one guy asks about the rebounding Podunk did and how it impacted the game, the coach responds (for two minutes) about how his guys weren't getting calls but maybe if he goes back and watches the tape he'll see the calls were called equally.

This got me wondering what you guys got stored in those brains of yours for most off-topic replies to a question you asked or most pointless interview you've ever had to sit through. I swear, ninety seconds after this guys started I knew i had everything i was going to be able to use and just sat through it all. What say you?
  2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I remember a coach asking me when I got my coaching license when I asked him about his team's shitty midfield play.

I also remember a different coach in the same league snapping, "I don't need to talk about it, you guys talk about it all the time" when I asked him about his team's then-12 game losing streak at the home of the team I covered. Then after the next home loss, he immediately starts mentioning the streak, which had reached 13.

Then again, I haven't had the pleasure of sitting through Tuna or Belicheat pressers.
  3. I remember Gary Williams reaming some chick from the WaPo or Times about an injury they reported the day before.
    That's obviously why they lost.
  4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some sentences start with such promise....
  5. schiezainc

In my head, I would have responded....."Just yesturday actually. Came with my large fries and coke at burger king."

Of course, if you actually had a coaches license, that would have been even better.
  6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

When I was just starting out, I had a Div. 1 college basketball coach tell me I was "stealing food from the mouths of" his children because I wrote a story pointing out that things weren't going so well and he might be fired, which he was, a year later.
    As far as I know, his offspring avoided starvation.
  7. maumann

maumann Member

Jim Mora's meltdown in Charlotte in 1996 is my personal favorite. I happened to be down in the visitor's locker room, helping Skip Foreman of the AP.

Thanks to Wikipedia ...

"Well, what happened was, that second game, we got our ass kicked. In the second half, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked. The second half, we sucked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked in the second half - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second half. It sucked. It stunk."

I also remember Frank Robinson melting down as manager of the Giants -- for some reason, Ted Kwalick's name comes to mind as the TV guy who asked the "dumb" question.
  8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

But is his yacht currently under repossession?
  9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A Mora medley:

10. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

It'd have been hilarious if I'd gotten my coach's license and I'd won a championship. Especially if he hadn't.

Then again, I'm sure he wouldn't have liked it had I reminded him of those facts if they were indeed facts. Which they're not.
  11. schiezainc

Or if you just so happen to be interviewing him wearing your "Ha Ha! You suck and i rule" T-shirt that you had to commemorate your team's victory over him in the last three championship finals before you gave up coaching to be a journalist.
  12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I covered a game once where the home team was simply awful, and in the last graf, I referred to them as "lowly."

Well, you never saw so many letters from the aggrieved parents. My ASE sent me back the next week (a mistake, he said, and apologized. I had no reason to think it wasn't sincere; I thought he was making me take my medicine, which I was perfectly willing to do). The coach came out, called me some names and said he was refusing to talk to me and went back in. As I was leaving, he came out and yelled for about 10 minutes as to why he wasn't talking to me, then refused to talk about the game.

A couple years later, he was fired for his taste in women, namely teen-agers at school.

I smiled.

Oh, and forevermore, the word "lowly" has been banned from describing a high school team at that paper, no matter how hard they suck.
Draft saved Draft deleted