1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst/cheesiest sports movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Five pages and no mention of "Blue Chips" with Nick Nolte and Shaq? That was awful.
    and no mention of "Little Big League" (where the kid inherits the Twins and names himself manager)?
    Those are definitely two of the worst.

Count me in the minority, but I actually thought Major League II was worse than Major League III (Back to the Minors)

My pick for worst/cheesiest sports movie would be Air Bud or any of those other movies that have an animal as a star athlete.

Should we include Silvester Stallone's turn as a goalie in "Victory" among the worst sports movies or does the presence of Pele and other soccer stars of the era save it from being among the worst?

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yet to be mentioned: Tom Cruise as a high-school rebel DB in "All the Right Moves." If the movie itself isn't cheezy, the synth-driven 80s title song is.

The movie actually had some good location shots of Western PA. And Lea Thompson.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Good call on both. Blue Chips is very bad, especially the scenes in the post-game interview room with Nick Nolte [it looks more like the AV room at my old h.s.] in which he gets interrogated by Al Bundy. The only less believable interview scenes were the Steve Phillips ones on SportsCenter.

And LBL reminds me of the one [can't remember the name, and it's too hot to look it up] where the kid breaks his arm and then gets super strength and starts pitching for the Cubs. [A pre-Balco Bonds makes a cameo as one of the guys he Ks.]

4. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Days of Thunder was bad, (a 23 year old Nicolle Kidman as a neurologist???) Stroker Ace was worse, but Driven is just a complete disgrace. How does Renny Harlin keep getting more directing gigs?

The film was originally going to be set in Formula 1, but when Bernie Ecclestone saw how awful it was going to be he backed out. There's just too many stupid things happening in this film to list.

There is a difference between a movie that is made with somewhat of a wink at it's badness, and one that takes itself seriously. That's what makes this worse than Stroker Ace.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I hated Mr. 3,000, with Bernie Mac.

It was slow, stupid, boring AND cheezy. Amazing.

Major League 2 suffered the same problems as Caddyshack 2 — basically the same problems, same jokes, same lines with a slightly different plot. Actually, I'm not sure Caddyshack 2 even had a different plot. It was exactly the same with different characters.

Also, The Replacements sucked. How do I know? Because I groaned while watching it and my braindead roommate nearly died laughing. That was always a big sign for me.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The one where the kid breaks his arm and his ligaments become like elastic bands for his high-speed pitching is Rookie of the Year (which was on this morning).

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

It was filmed, as was "Slap Shot," in Johnstown.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Seeing a topless Lea Thompson totally redeems the rest of the movie's suckiness.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

On bus trips with the team where I used to be SID, we watched a lot of bad movies. The worst sports movie we saw was Like Mike. Just horrible, horrible, horrible. Even the players were saying how bad it was.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Vision Quest.

Now some one will defend it.

But they'll be wrong.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll vote for Rudy... I fucking hated it...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sports movie that I can't even stand to see when it comes on TV is Space Jam.

Draft saved Draft deleted