1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst/cheesiest sports movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That sounds kinda hot. I'm gonna keep my eye out for it.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I see your "Ed" and raise you "MVP: Most Valuable Primate" about a monkey that plays hockey. Air Canada forced me to see this on a cross country flight.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

What makes Slap Shot 2 and Caddyshack II so unbelievably godawful is that they're so much worse than the originals -- to the point that their very existence almost tarnishes the legacies of the originals.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Just added to my Blockbuster queue. ;D

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Two different things, I think: a cheesy movie is at least moderately watchable, it just makes you roll your eyes. Worst is worst, and Caddyshack 2 takes it hands down. I'm truly ashamed to say I paid to see it in the theatre. Actually, I pretty much refuse to acknowledge its existence, but for this thread I must.

6. Mutah

Mutah Member

HC -- Maybe, just maybe. But I'm too stunned at the moment to compare. The reason: I imdb'd "MVP" and saw this review:

"I just came back from seeing MVP and was amazed. I was surprised because I'm 20 so this is more for a kids movie. I've seen Dunston checks In, Air Bud I II, Ed, and That Darn Cat and I just love pet movies. You can't go wrong. First of all Jack the monkey is brilliant. I have never seen a monkey play hockey so well. I don't want to spoil anything but the ending is very good. If you are 20 above and like pet movies this is movie for you.

As far acting goes once again you can't go wrong. Like I said before Jack is one good monkey at skating. His puck handling and skating are convincing and are the best monkey skating I've seen in a movie. Shane Vajda as Moose gave a surprising performance. So for those who haven't seen it skate don't run to your local theatre."

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

7. Making it somewhat morbidly funny is that I believe the original Air Bud lost a leg due to cancer.  

Mighty Ducks 2 might define both "worst" and "cheesy."  They followed up the definition of the harmless, cheesy sports movie by piling on more stereotypes -- Speedy Gonzalez on skates, a Southern kid who lassoed opponents, the hotshot girl who "surprised the boys."  And then they ran out of ideas, so they just doubled up on the figure skater (Woo woo Kenny Wu) and big, tough, streetwise kid, and made Gordon Bombay too good for junior hockey again.

And then they managed to make a third one.  

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Keep your eye on the fruit

9. Mutah

Mutah Member

Threadjacking a moment: Noticed on television listings last weekend that one local station was airing "Meatballs 4." Good god! They made two more after the sequel? So, yeah, I had to watch. Comically bad, with Corey Feldman as the cool camp counselor. Only saving grace was the post-credits look at the camera when Corey tells everyone to go home while he's kissing a girl. After a few attempts, she says "some movie star" and walks off. He whines "but I was in Goonies!"
    We now return to regular programming.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

You mean "The Upside of Anger" rather than "For the Love of the Game," right?

Even if you think "Rookie of the Year" was bad, which I didn't, Thomas Ian Nicholas redeemed himself for all time by taking Tara Reid's cherry and getting her to blow him in "American Pie" -- and it didn't cost him $1,000.

The MVP and Air Bud movies -- one of each was one too many -- top the list of bad AND cheesy sports movies. For an obscure entry, I give you "The Kid From Left Field," starring Gary Coleman as a 10-year-old prodigy who manages the San Diego Padres to the World Series. Also starring Robert Guillaume and Gary Collins.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was a movie where Edward James Olmos is a scout who plays a sort of Yoda-like mentor to some hotshot pitcher from the sticks. The pitcher can only perform well when it's Edward James Olmos who's catching him, and Olmos puts on the gear and sneaks into a game for an inning. It carried a lot of the same pretensiousness in "For Love of the Game."

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jaberwocky!

Ms. Crosby was hot, no doubt about it. She could hand out towels in my locker room any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted