1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst chain restaurant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some of the basic IHOP omelettes are fine. But they're treading a very fine
    price/quality line, and have a feeling they're headed in the wrong direction.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Bite your tongue when talking about IHOP. Although their food is like they dumped an entire pound of salt in the mix, they provide a good service. In a pinch, their pancakes are delicious enough. It cures a hangover at a good price.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Every time we pass a Golden Corral (or Ryan's, Ponderosa, or other such place) my wife makes a mooing sound because they line you up like cattle at the buffet line. Cracks me up every time.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know how prevalent they are, but Carlos O'Kelly's is truly fucking terrible.

I've eaten at two, hoping the first one was simply a bad experience. It wasn't. Fucking up fast-casual Mexican is pretty damn hard, but they manage it. And it's overpriced to boot.

I agree with those who noted Applebee's as the worst of the national chain American restaurants. The best is Ruby Tuesday's -- they have decent appetizers and a good salad bar, if nothing else. I love Cracker Barrel. Any place I can get fried okra is ok with me. Took a hockey team to a Golden Corral once. ONCE.

And I honestly have no beef with the Olive Garden. I don't expect it to be authentic Italian, though, so perhaps that factors in. I understand people's qualms, however.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I just can't imagine any scenario where i would even walk into a place called "Carlos O'Kelly's."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The shamrock tamales are to die for!

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm sure Bertucci's is a fine establishment. But I went there one night with my wife; two hours later, I was puking with a violence that I'd seen only on the very drunkest of drunk nights.

I will not be going back there.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Friendly's. Worst customer service anywhere.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Another vote for Applebee's. I do their curbside to-go every now and then, usually just for my wife because she likes their salads. A few weeks ago I joined in and got a burger, then got home and found it was the wrong kind. Called the joint and complained, manager tells me to come back and they'll hook me up with another one. I told him I had no desire to get back in the car again, but instead could he mail me a gift card for the amount of the chow and make it right in that way? He said he would, took my address, and then...nothing.

But I blame myself for doing the curbside thing. That's an option of fail to begin with.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny how no one's mentioned Taco Bell.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Friendly's has a weird vibe. I'll give you that.

Like they tried to recreate a 1950s soda fountain and staffed it with mutants.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With the exception of the fast food places (and a couple of Applebee's), none of the restaurants mentioned here are in Canuckistan.

What's the matter with the marketing people at these chains?

Draft saved Draft deleted