1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst case scenario

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There are bad weekends, work-wise, and then there are weekends where every single one of your major beats ends prematurely.
    It has been unreal the past few days. I thought I was set for the next month at least with teams looking at making runs at league titles and like provincials or even nationals. But no. This happened to be the weekend of great upsets where two top ranked teams fell to cellar dwellars - and not just lost the opening playoff series, but they were swept. Even the teams in my lesser beats inexplicably ended this weekend. In five years on the job I have never had such a complete, unified collapse of my beats. It really is uncanny. I mean I have probably a few weeks worth of follow up, but after that it is about a month or two before baseball or football gets going in the area.
    I suppose I could start covering co-ed rec indoor soccer?
    I don't know

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

The only team (18-1) I covered that had a shot to go to state lost its first game in the regional tournament to a 12-7 team. All my other teams suck, and three wrestlers went two matches and done at the state tourney.
    I might have to throw kids rasslin' on the sports cover soon.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Football gets going in a month or two there?

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what I was gonna ask...

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Beef's in Western Canada. Things are different up there.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Those crazy Canadians.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not high school, A senior men's team in the Alberta Football League. They are actually indoors already working out, as soon as the snow is gone theymove outdoors and get serious.

8. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Woah, there are actually places where you have to worry about finding stuff to cover? My brain is bleeding. We (try to) cover 30 area high schools, one of the top JUCOs in the nation, and whatever else comes around. Things do slow down here ... for about one week in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted