1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst case of plagiarism ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

http://www.freep.com/article/20110601/BUSINESS01/306010001/1014/business01?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+freep%2Fnayf+%28freep.com+|+Auto+news%29

Not journalism, but we can all get angry about a little plagiarizing.

Audi rips off Chrysler's Super Bowl ad. They took the music, they took the style... it's bad. Compare the videos in the story.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ouch!

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

:eek:

That's about all I got. I'm rather speechless. WTF were they thinking and what exec signed off on it.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The music cues are, er, derivative. But aren't most car commericials that use urban night driving scenes gonna be very similar? The fencer motif derives from no corresponding imagery in the Chrysler commercial, and the Audi ad doesn't has a voiceover.

But they definitely "sampled" the music too generously.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wow..."Hey guys I saw a great ad over the weekend, let's make something just like it."

Five takes later...
    "Okay guys...that looks just about the same."

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Nobody asked, but here's my take: Audi rips off Chrysler's Super Bowl ad. They took the music, they took the style... it's bad. Just compare the videos in the story. :D

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Next up: Audi decides to plagiarize Chrysler's K-car design...

[​IMG]

Followed by the hiring of Lee Iacocca and then bankruptcy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Been a looooong time since a German automaker tried to copy off its American competition. So, hey, maybe this is a sign of Detroit doing something right, at least their ads are envied.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Although sadly, the ad was made by a Seattle-based agency.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

How about this for a new commercial:

Three frogs are sitting on lily pads in a pond, looking at a neon beer sign for Heineken. One of the frogs says, "Hein," the next one says, "Eh," and the last one says, "Ken."

Good golly, I'm a genius.

11. Illino

Illino Member

While I certainly understand the hullabaloo regarding these commercials, I don't think Audi did anything inherently wrong. Morally wrong? Perhaps. But I believe their use of music (which I would say lightly sampled Lose Yourself) and their use of a similar concept for the commercial video would stand up to a lawsuit.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Lightly sampled? It's the same beat and everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted