1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Cars of all time....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 23, 2010.

1. partain

partain Member

My wife's parents bought her a new plymoth Horizon for high school graduation--it was an upgrade over the Pinto she had been driving.

It wasn't fun to drive or anything, but that Horizon lasted her nearly a dozen years. At the end, every day when we came out to get in, something new had fallen off. The rearview mirror fell off, the driver's side door latch broke, the air conditioning barely worked. But it was a good car until that last few months.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Exactly. It was a classic GM move -- finally get it right, then cancel it. The early Fieros were horrible pieces of crap -- lots of parts sharing with Chevette, Citations, Cavaliers and the like -- but the 1988 was pretty darned good. Had a suspension that wasn't from the Chevette, for one thing. My uncle had an '88 Fiero Formula that was a surprisingly fun car.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After wrecking my first car in 1984 (a 280ZX Turbo), I was forced into a used Datsun B210.

[​IMG]

After a year, I upgraded to a used Dodge Omni 024, which was the upgraded "sportier" version of the Omni.

[​IMG]

For a high school graduation present in 1986, I got a used LeBaron convertible.

[​IMG]

In 1989, I bought a 1972 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I've owned nothing but Jeeps since.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

loved my jeep cj7. wish i still had it.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

My first car was a 1978 Chevette. Exterior and interior were total crap. Didn't have air conditioning. But somehow, this thing just would not quit. I ended up having to replace the hood, replace the rear hatch and all four wheels. But the engine purred like a kitten and it handled well. I don't know what's happened to it. I imagine it literally fell apart. But I'd bet someone's still making good use of that engine.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I drove an Olds Cutlass in high school and loved it. Then my dad traded it in for a Chrysler piece of shit.

I've driven GM my whole adult life since. I've owned four GM cars and still own two of them.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy had a Chevette. It was a POS but it got 50mpg.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Sad thing is, for an early 3rd-gen Z28 that's actually in pretty good shape.
    I loved the looks of the early 3rd-gen F-body twins, especially the Trans Am, and by the mid-80s performance was pretty good. But from everything I've read, they may be the worst built cars ever, especially the models with T-tops.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I loved the looks of the 1986-88 Fiero GT, and the 1988 was pretty nice with the changes made. Too bad the fire issues from the 1984 hung over it. I seem to recall a Car and Driver comparison in '88 between the Fiero GT, the then-new CRX Si and the supercharged MR2. I know the CRX won, pretty sure the Fiero was last but I remember the magazine noting how improved the car was.
    I'm also thinking Pontiac was working on a new Fiero for either 1989 or 1990 when it was killed. GM had recently come out with the Quad 4 engine and came out with a twin dual cam V6 in the early 1990s so it would have likely been a fast car. Too bad.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I worked for a while in a parts house back then. We had more trouble with parts for the Trans-Ams. It was like they found an old case of Chevy carburetors and stuck them in the Trans-Ams, or distributor caps. The spec books were never right when the customer brought in the old part to try to match it up.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've said this on here before, but I had a Fiero and that is by far the favorite car I have ever owned. That was fun to drive.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I went through a Gremlin and Chevette in college. I was strangely fond of both.
    I got an Aztek as a rental car. It did suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted