1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Cars of all time....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 23, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I thought the readers list was better. Some of the vehicles on the original list seem to be on there simply due to looks, i.e. the Subaru SVX and the Aztek. IIRC, the SVX got good reviews from the automotive press but looked strange. Aztek was ugly as sin, but one of the 10 worst vehicles ever? I'm not a Ford fan, but I don't see the Explorer deserving to be on that list at all, especially given some of the cars on the readers list (i.e. Vega, K-Car, Cimmaron, Edsel, Mustang II). Explorer got pretty good reviews in the earlier years, I believe.
    I used to own one of the cars on that list, a 1983 Chevette. Only good thing about it was impressing people by telling them I had an '83 'Vette. Non-car people who thought I was talking about a Corvette didn't realize there was no 1983 Corvette, and thus I was referring to a POS Chevette. ;D

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My mother was so proud of her '73 Chevy Vega. Then again, her tastes or selection of vehicles hasn't improved over time.

Chevrolet Vega, Ford Edsel win in the classic category - perhaps "classic" should be blue font. Pontiac Aztek wins in a landslide in more modern category.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My grandmother once owned an AMC Pacer. The thing was about 70 percent glass ...

4. Steak Snabler

I actually saw a working Edsel on the road the other day. I was stunned.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Anyone who was watching the Siberia legs of The Amazing Race a few seasons back knows exactly what they mean by putting the Lada on here.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the explorer makes the list but not this?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Steak Snabler

The author explains that the Explorer is on the list primarily because it launched the environment-killing SUV craze, not because of its looks or any specific design flaw (though he did note the exploding Bridgestone tires on the early models).

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The only car on the writer's list I am familiar with is the Chrysler K-cars. My parents got one when I was in my teens and would use the car when mine was in the shop. Definitely my least favorite of all the cars in the household, but I was OK with it as long as it wasn't my permanent one

Observations of the list: They came way before my driving age, but those AMC cars are exhibits A and B of what was wrong with the '70s as a whole. No wonder that company went out of business.

I'm glad the readers didn't let the Hummer get off without a proper skewering. Easily the most unnecessary vehicle of my lifetime.

For those questioning the Explorer's inclusion, I think the writer put it there mainly because it launched the subsequent SUV craze. Not saying I agree, but that's the conclusion I got after reading his entry. (What Steak said.)

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My dad had an orange Vega, with moon hubcaps that rusted after the first rain. Eventually the floor rusted and you could see the street. My mother put a yellow fuzzy bathmat over the hole.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've owned a Chevette, Vega and a Pinto.

The Pinto was the best by far. I couldn't kill that car and I really, really tried.

When I was young I would buy cars that still ran for $200 and run them till they died.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My older sister's first car was a purple 1976 AMC Pacer that she bought for $75. Boy was that thing a piece of crap. I'll never forget the time she filled the gas tank, and the thing was so heavy and the engine so weak that she couldn't get it over 35 mph.

Another quick story. When I was 16 or so, my dad lost his job and our family went through some financial difficulties. We went through a succession of cheapo stopgap cars after our main one got repoed. One of them was the bastard, redheaded cousin of the Chevette, the Plymouth Horizon. A dark blue, 1980 Plymouth Horizon. My mom bought it for $300 from a shady used car lot, and the thing died less than two weeks later.
    In that brief time, I learned what utter fail smells like. It smells like burning oil, dirty carpets and dried-up Coke in the console.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This probably doubled the market value of that Vega.

Draft saved Draft deleted