1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Cars of all time....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 23, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is perfect sj. stuff. Everybody here has an opinion on cars.

Cheney is one of the auto writers for the Globe & Mail. He picked the 12 worst cars of all time then had readers add their two cents worth and added ten more (hence the two links).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/worst-cars-ii-the-readers-have-spoken/article1477405/

Choosing just 12 cars had been tough - I'd considered more than 50 candidates, but pared down the list, looking for a mix of bad manufacturing, ugly design, and historical significance (the bad kind.)

Here's Cheney's list

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/the-12-worst-cars-ever-built/article1443510/

And here's the reader's list which I find much more interesting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/galleries/10-worst-cars-chosen-by-our-readers/article1477474/

God bless the readers for putting the Hummer on the list.

Mr. Schwarzenegger, a champion body builder and action film star, bought a Hummer to drive around Los Angeles. He was quickly imitated by legions of wannabes, and the Hummer, designed as combat-zone troop transporter, was now a fossil-fuel sucking male enhancement device. The Hummer went through a series of revisions aimed at improving its civilian usefulness, but at its core, it remained a singularly stupid, vanity-based vehicle, huge on the outside, small on the inside, and inherently wasteful.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't look at the list. If Chevy's Corvair isn't on the list, Chevy's Vega damn well ought to be. I've owned both!

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

AMC! AMC!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Corvair's on Cheney's list. The Vega's on the reader's list.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back in the day I'd see a Bricklin cruising around my little part of the Toronto 'burbs.

And the AMC plant in my neck of the woods produced Gremlins among other automotive horrors. The plant was just up the street from where I am typing this. It made Jeeps for a while after Chrysler bought AMC, then housed a WalMart warehouse which was then bulldozed for a Lowe's.

My parents owned a Chevette. Wasn't the worst car they ever owned, that's for sure. That dishonour would go to my old man's Dodge Duster.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not looking on the list...

Everything 1980 forward needs to have Chrysler or Jaguar in the name.

I parked cars for three years in college and those are the biggest POS out there.

Best car of my adult lifetime...

560 SL convertable circa 1985 - 1988

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dodge Avenger.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I believe the Dodge Duster was the same as the Plymouth Duster and the Dodge Shadow.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cheney also has the Chevette (or Shove It as my friend who owned once used to call it) on his list.

I owned a Vega for about a month before I ripped the oil pan out of the bottom going over a manhole cover. Definitely a piece of crap.

I also owned a '73 Pinto. Luckily I totaled it in a front-end rather than rear-end crash.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, for what you pay, the Land Rover or Range Rover are puke.

Just typical shoddy work on a POS design.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"There are only two reasons the Gremlin existed. One was birth control for young men. The other was so the Pinto wouldn't feel so bad about itself" -- Jon Stewart in talking about driving a 1976 Gremlin during his speech introducing Bruce Springsteen at the 2009 Kennedy Center Honors.

I personally don't think the Gremlin was that bad. A used 1974 Gremlin with air conditioning that I bought in 1989 for $500 was my first car. A year later I realized I needed a real car and bought a 1985 Toyota Camry.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pinto and Pacer are no brainers.

Very surprised to see the Ford Explorer make the list.

And personally, I'd gladly drive one of those Bond 3 wheelers.

Draft saved Draft deleted