1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst boycott ever... Kathy Griffin! (special post just for Yawn)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 7, 2007.

1. I think that's way oversimplifying it. "Friends" has earned this stigma, because so many of its stars became cover boys and girls. But it wasn't just, "Hot people hanging out in New York City!" They took great pains to portray them as a bunch of drifting some-time fuck-ups trying to find their way through their 20s. I thought it struck more of a universal chord than people give it credit for in hindsight, and I think people often let the celebrities cloud their judgment of the show. The humor was far smarter and subtler than people give it credit for (Phoebe's outlandish, over-the-top humor annoyed me at times; So did Kramer's).

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I noticed an obvious change in the subtle and smart humor that Friends displayed for the first few seasons. The show became noticeably worse and eventually unwatchable. Seinfeld certainly fell off a bit during the last season or two but never became completely unwatchable.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have no affiliation with Jesus. Other than the Buddy Christ sitting on my desk, we don't cross paths much. But I'm a firm believer that what comedians -- or anyone reaching for a laugh -- say should be taking very lightly. Much of what Griffin does and says is for shock value. It's not like she tore a picture of the pope or anything; although taking a verbal swing at his boss might seem worse to some.

But if you examine her audible thought, it makes sense: "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus." All she's doing is mocking the clowns who cling to the "thank Jesus/God for making this all possible" phrase over and over and over again, probably because some -- maybe most -- of them just do it for show in front of a national audience for image purposes.

Think about it for a second. When's the last time you got a 2-percent raise or a promotion, walked out of your boss' office and said, "I want to thank Jesus for making this all possible"? I, personally, think it's comical when an athlete or celebrity says it because you almost expect to hear it; it's become the norm. In my opinion, it's not as much about faith for them as it is about image, and that's sad. And that's probably a bigger travesty than a shitty comedian getting a few laughs for saying, "Suck it, Jesus. This is my God now!"

I like to tell Jesus jokes. Am I afraid of burning if there is a Hell? Absolutely not. Because I believe whoever is up there has a sense of humor and won't get their panties in a bunch over a few meaningless words aimed to put a smile on someone's face.

Am I right, Buddy Christ?

[​IMG]

That thumbs-up means I'll rest easily tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

[/Hyperbole police]

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

suck it jesus, this is my god now.

[​IMG]

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Speaking of having no sense of humor ...

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

1. What Arnold said.

2. Kathy Griffin is a guilty pleasure; I find her stand-up hilarious.

3. Even if I didn't, this would not make me boycott her. It's a bunch of PC bullshit.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree. My initial comment was supposed to be followed by a question mark. As in - "I'm Christian and I can't put aside my beliefs for some comedy?"

I mean shit, every Easter I thank all my Jewish friends for killing Jesus to forgive me for all my sins.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. i predict yawn will organize a boycott of red after that one.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only because it started out unwatchable, did it not become unwatchable

11. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Has anyone thought that maybe Jesus has a sense of humor? That maybe somewhere between the loaves and fishes that He was capable of busting a funny on one of the Disciples? I'm not the biggest Kathy Griffin fan....she's good for a funny every now and then, but there is worse out there. I saw her Bravo special regarding the joke and found that funnier than I thought.

Count me in as someone who finds her strangely attractive. If she's knocking on my door, I'm not saying no.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Good sir, I wasn't quoting you because I thought you had a different opinion. I was just branching off your thought -- you know, except for the strangely attractive part. She looks like a fucking alien.

Draft saved Draft deleted