1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst boycott ever... Kathy Griffin! (special post just for Yawn)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 7, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's not that I didn't "get" the show, I just never found it funny. Seinfeld's brand of humor is not one that I appreciate. That's all.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

That's funny. I googled to make sure it was Kathy Griffin on Newsradio before posting, saw a bunch of results come up and assumed my memory was correct. Now that I take a closer look, of course, I see the top search result for "Kathy Griffin newsradio" is for a blog that made the same mistake I did. Thanks Evil.

Also, I've quit trying to figure out why people have such wildly varying senses of humor. For my taste there's nothing better than a sick, twisted, demented, offensive, subtle, Larry David, Seinfeldian type of funny. Many of my other friends seem to prefer the in-your-face, outrageous, slapstick like Chappelle, Mencia brand of funny more.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I say this with all respect, but you're just wrong. Some humor isn't a matter of taste -- it's just universally funny. I think you should have your funny bone checked.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No humor is universal. I never found Seinfeld all that funny. Amusing, yes, but not funny. Now Friends . . . that was funny.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy crap -- you have the disorder too! There should be a support group. :D

6. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Worst boycott ever?

Memphis, garbage strikers, 1968, look it up.

Martin Luther King died for that boycott.

Nothing ever comes close to that one.

And hard to believe we're talking about some celebrity bullshit here.

History, people. Read some history sometime. History should not be ignored.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Friends isn't as subtle, in my opinion, which doesn't make it bad; just a different kind of comedy than a Seinfeld. Much more than Friends, Seinfeld is an acquired taste; Joey's stupidity is so outlandish that, not only is it funny, but it's obviously funny, while watching three or four stories unfold into one on Seinfeld really takes some thought and requires a whole lot of attention to detail.

Some people latch onto it and would make love to it if they could -- I'd raise my hand if I weren't typing -- and some people really could care less for the brand of abstract humor. In a lot of ways, Seinfeld is hit or miss. But I'd put money on the line saying no one could watch this dialog without laughing:

Jerry: What happened to you?
    Kramer: I don't know. But I woke up in the Hudson River ... in a sack!

Friends is a very good show, but it follows the basic marketing premise -- young, attractive, single people develop their bonds with each other and push toward a resolution. Whereas the cast of Seinfeld are a bunch of fucking chuds and Julia Louis-Dreyfus spiral toward misery and failure, not developing any relationships and refuse to grow up.

There will be another Friends; maybe not as successful, but sitcoms like that pop up every year. No show was like Seinfeld before Seinfeld, and no show will ever be close to Seinfeld again.

8. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Hard to lighten up, Buck, when we are debating Kathy Griffin and Friends vs. Seinfeld. Meanwhile, gas is $3.29 in my town, and Bush is ... well, he's still Bush.

Ok, though: I pick Seinfeld over Friends.

But I pick Wings over Seinfeld. Wings is an underrated classic.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Ironic that this argument was brought up; seeing as I had the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT tonitght with my dad...

I sent him a clip of Frasier that I find to be one of the funniest moments in TV history:

His response was, "I didn't find that funny"

Now, I'm a huge, huge, huge Frasier fan, and he's not, so I can understand his dislike.
    But I don't get it. I just don't get it. And he doesn't get how I didn't find Laugh-In funny.

Here's my top five TV comedies:

1) Frasier
    2) I Love Lucy
    3) Seinfeld
    4) Taxi
    5) Married with Children

I'm only a TRUE fan of 1, 2, 3,m but I respect 4/5 for what they did for television.
    His list includes the Sid Caesar Show, All in the Family and Sanford and Son.

Different generations or tastes?

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Even if they don't, the eyelids match the top.

Expect a call from the Plain Dealer any day now about a fact checking position!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm Christian and I can't put aside my beliefs for some comedy. I mean really it's somewhat funny.

And I find her strangely attractive.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Friends vs. Seinfeld?? Is that even a fair comparison? Hell, Friends was decent/pretty damn good for the first season or two but unfortunately quickly turned into mindless drivel aimed exclusively at chicks (not that that's a bad thing, it is what it is). Seinfeld is one of the great television sitcoms of all-time.

As far as the speech...if anyone is offended by it, lighten up. It's not that serious.

Draft saved Draft deleted