1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst big-name actor working

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 15, 2009.

?

Who is the worst supposedly good actor?

1. Mark Wahlberg

10.1%
  2. Nic Cage

30.4%
  3. Keanu Reeves

39.2%
  4. John Travolta

7.6%
  5. Other

12.7%
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Simple enough question: Who is the worst big-name Hollywood actor working today?

I know my vote, but in order to get a clean sampling of the public's opinion, I will abstain for awhile.

Please list your reasons for your vote. These threads get dull if people just post a name. And if I've left someone off who deserves mention, feel free to kick me in my virtual nuts.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think Wahlberg can act, for the record, but Nic Cage . . . good lord. I cringe at the mere sight of his picture, remembering the $6 my starving college student ass wasted on Con Air.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An interesting list of nominees. I'd say all of them are pretty much one-note actors, but I think Wahlberg's work in Boogie Nights and Rock Star showed he had more range than he normally shows.
    All three have a really bad habit of playing the same character over and over and over again.
    Travolta was good in Primary Colors and A Civil Action as for Reaves, he seems miscast in just about everything he's in and Cage always seems to be playing Nic Cage.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'd have to go with Matthew McConaughey. He plays himself in every role more than Cage. Is Paul Walker still a big name?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jeez - looking at MM's credits I'm not going to disagree. I'd say everyone on the list would probably do themselves some good doing an independent film playing a sensitive artist with a handicap or some socially stigmatic issue (as long as it isn't a manic disorder for Cage, or a chronic charisma deficiency).
    It doesn't even have to be good - but it would be a decent change of pace.

It's amazing how many clunkers these guys can put out in a row and still be considered big time actors. They must do okay overseas.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with Cuba Gooding Jr. only for one reason... the guy doesn't know how to say "No Thanks" when offered a script.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Same could be said for Samuel L. Jackson. Fortunately, every now and then he puts out movies like 'Black Snake Moan' to remind us he can actually act.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm going to go with Keanu Reeves, with Cage a close second. For the record, I think Wahlberg can act, too. As can Travolta.

Cage might actually be a worse actor than Reeves, but "Leaving Las Vegas" makes up for it (even though I refuse to watch it a second time, because it's so damn depressing. Plus, "The Rock," "Face/Off" and the "National Treasures" all remain guilty pleasures for me.)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Travolta turned overacting into high art in Broken Arrow. "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke." He was so awful in that movie, he crossed the line into awesome.

He's another overexposed guy, but considering how far in the shitter he was before Pulp Fiction, I can't blame him for taking anything he's offered. And he was so awesome in Pulp, he can act in anything he wants and I'll forgive it.

My choice: Tom Cruise. Just fucking awful. No range and never ever brings any layer of believability to his roles. It's just Tom Cruise up there on the screen pretending. I didn't even like his turn in Tropic Thunder, precisely b/c it felt like a calculated attempt to get people talking about how un-Cruise a turn it was.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

As much as I really don't like Nicolas Cage, who peaked with "Valley Girl" and especially with "Fast Times" where he didn't speak, I'll go with Keanu Reeves, whose only believable role was Ted Theodore Logan.....but only the first time he played it.

[​IMG]

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Tom Cruise was robbed of an Oscar for Born on the Fourth of July. More recently, he was good in Minority Report and Magnolia.

He was once a pretty solid actor. Now . . . everything he does seems too calculated, yes.

Worst actor working today is probably Kevin Costner. Is he still working? So bad in so many roles. So overwrought in so many vanity projects.

Worst actress is Hayden Panettiere.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

(some language NSFW)

Draft saved Draft deleted