1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Bet You Ever Lost

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jeff_Rake, Sep 9, 2006.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

See why you couldn't get into the NIAFL, Frank?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Playing Acey-Deucy (aka In Between) during an all-night poker party in college. There was no limit on the pot size.

For those who have never played, you get two cards and you can bet any amount (up to the pot) that the next card will be between the two. If it is, you win the money. If not, you pay it. If you hit a post (match one of the two cards dealt) then you pay double.

There was $75 in the pot when I was dealt an Ace (which I called low) and another Ace (which was automatically) high. I bet the pot and sure enough another Ace comes up. That's $150.

It comes back around to me with the pot around $300 and I'm dealt a K-2. I bet the pot again and again get an ace.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We were shooting the shit in Henry Blake's office one afternoon when he gets a call from the general. The general tells him on the QT that there's going to be a ceasefire by tomorrow. Well, it's supposed to be a secret, but the entire camp knows in minutes. There's dancing in the mud.

So anyway, I'm not buying it. I've heard this happen before. A ceasefire rumor ... everybody goes wild ... and then it turns out to be true.

I tell Hawkeye about this, and he can't believe what I'm saying. He finally says, "I bet you five dollars that we're going home." I took it.

So the general came for the "last big party," and Hawkeye and I show a "tribute" to him where he's spending 80% of the time chewing Hot Lips' clothes off. But during the show, the general gets a message that there is no ceasefire. We're staying in Korea indefinitely. No stateside.

That was the worst bet I ever won.

----------------------------------------------

The worst bet I ever lost? I don't remember losing any.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Really, BigDog, was that necessary?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Football pool during the 1990 season. About 75 people in the pool. Payout is $1,500/$800/$500. I am dead broke. Going into the final week, I am one game out of first place. The guy in third is five games behind me and the guy in fourth is 7 games behind me. I'm counting my money, figuring that even with a complete disaster, I will finish third. On the Sunday games, I go 0-13. The guy in third goes 8-5 and the guy in fourth goes 9-4.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I was curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted