1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst beating you've ever seen in high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 14, 2006.

1. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

In a former life I was an asst. H.S. hoops coach and the girls district game before ours (eventual state champ beating small inner-city school) ended in a 129-8 score.

Pathetic

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Covered many a football rout (including one of those that prompted Connecticut officials here to make that asinine rule change).
    We also had a girl here who set the state record in goals for girls' soccer, so just for the helluva it, I went to the state record book and was amazed to see some of the single game records -- girls who scored 12, 13, and 14 goals in a game. How the hell do you let one kid do that?
    But I digress.

The worst "beating" I ever was privy too was actually in a wrestling tournament a couple years ago. Kid from our coverage area was pretty good -- for New England -- and basically steamrolled through the season. He was basically as aggressive as need be. If there was a kid in a dual meet he had to wrestle, he wouldn't physically kill the kid (slam him to the mat, etc.). He'd take him down, pin him, and move on.
    Gets to the state tourney, and one of the other kids in his bracket -- whom he beat pretty easily earlier in the year -- was talking junk about how the kid wasn't that good, the first match was a fluke, blah, blah, blah. Well, this gets back to the area kid and so when the time comes, he goes out and tech falls the kid.
    For those non wrestling types out there, it's basically the mercy rule for wrestling -- a 15 point lead and the match is over.
    Area kid could have ended it any time he wanted with a pin. Except he was so pissed at his opponent for being a cocky prick about it, he toyed with him. Took him down, pounded on him, let him back up, repeat. Just punished the kid for almost six minutes before he reached the tech fall score.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I covered a kid twice -- once in the seventh grade at a state middle school meet, once as a senior wrestling someone from one of my schools in the state meet. Both matches went about the same: take him down, let him up, take him down, let him up, take him down, get back points, let him up. Apparently that was his m.o. his entire career; few pins but an assload of tech falls. It's the ultimate "fuck you" in wrestling, and maybe in sports, because he's saying 'I will beat you the way I choose to beat you, and there's not thing one you can do about it, jabroni." It's something to see, no doubt.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Covered a 100-24 girls basketball game once. Pales in comparison to some of the other games on here, but the winning team was fouling intentionally in the last seconds to get the ball back to try to score 100. When they did, the place went nuts like they had just won state.

It was one of the most sickening things I've ever seen. Starters were in the game for the winning team, too.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Addendum to the one JC was talking about.

Before technical falls we had a kid (that kid's brother maybe) run up 50 or 60 points in a wrestling match, refusing to pin the kid.

6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

2004 season I interned in the sports information department at Georgia Southern.  Our season-opening football game:

GSU 84, Johnson C. Smith (a historically black D-II school in Charlotte) 3
    I think the score was 56-0 at halftime

Others from my time at GSU:
    - In baseball, we had a 3-game series with Morris Brown, an HBCU D-I in Atlanta that has since fallen to pieces. Final scores were 25-0, 17-1, 17-7. In the 25-0 game, we scored 10+ in an inning twice.
    - When I was SID in softball, we beat Elon 21-0, including a 13-run first inning where our catcher homered twice. Nothing will come close to a twinbill Coll. of Charleston had with Savannah State of 42-0 and 35-0

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain why girls prep basketball teams and their coaches are much more prone to doing this than boys?

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

When I was in high school, our team beat a team from Louisville 62-6 and 63-0 from 2000-2002. We beat another Louisville team 52-7, 64-0 and 56-6 from 1999-2002. We beat DeSales 48-0 in 2000 and 64-6 in 2001. Beat district rival E'town 50-0 in 2002. 99-02 were the years of the Hawks, except we never won a state title. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted