1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst beating you've ever seen in high school sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 14, 2006.

1. tim_candon

tim_candon New Member

I had a boys' basketball game end 99-12 two years ago. The funny thing, depending on your perspective, was the crowd started booing the home team because they couldn't get 100. They missed like five or six straight layups on their final possession that would've put them over the top. It was 37-0 after the first quarter and 60-3 at halftime. Just ugly.

I had several softball games this spring decided by 20 runs or more. At one, team loaded the bases every inning. In the fourth, they just started bunting every pitch with the bases loaded, and the visitors still managed to let some runs score.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is fun! Can I offer up two more? I've been witness to an astonishing number of beatdowns in my day...

About five years ago, one of our baseball teams beat someone 30-1. The local team had seven or eight guys who played at least juco ball, and three who have played pro ball -- including one in the majors now. The major leaguer pitched, and I swear he walked two or three guys just to practice his pickoff move. The scrubs came in in the third inning and scored 15 runs.

And then this year there was a private school football game. Don't remember the final, maybe only 49-0 or so, but the clock ran the whole game. The winning team scored in the first minute or two, and it kept going through the extra point and everything. We were done in 90 minutes.

3. greenie

greenie Member

Had a 92-0 football game in the area a few years back. Winning coach was embarrassed. About 13 or 14 kids scored TDs. "You can't tell your fifth-string tailback not to run hard," he said. "He might never get another carry." He's right.

I played in a 102-12 basketball game. Our 12th man scored 20.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It was a (relatively) big Class B private school against a middle-of-nowhere public school with eighth graders on varsity.

5. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Neither covered, but on desk for one ...

and coaching a boys jv game before the worst beating ive ever seen in a girls game.
    During college, after losing a boys jv game by about 10 as a coach, i felt a lot better walking out to see an 85-4 on the scoreboard for a Class 1A girls game. The best part? it was 35-0, then 35-4. the line score read 0 4 0 0.
    on desk a few years ago, our local division ii baseball team lost 35-0. They werent that bad ... just one of those days.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I coached a 18-1 boys hockey win.

We tried calling off the dogs. Honest. Other team was that bad. We were up 9-0 after one. Everyone on the bench scored, and then we just banned shooting.

7. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

I once covered an 85-0 football game that was 21-0 before the offense even took the field (two blocked punts and a fumble recovery all for touchdowns) and was 63-0 at the end of the first quarter, which I believe was a state record at the time and might still be.

8. rhetty1117

rhetty1117 New Member

I covered an 88-12 Division II college football game last fall. And it happened to be the first college football game I had ever attended (no football at my school).

Four of the touchdowns came in the fourth quarter by the winning team's fourth-string running back. The coach felt so guilty afterward that he squeezed "I wish it didn't have to get like that" into every answer to a question.

And I forgot to mention: The night before that game, I covered a 70-0 high school game.

Last fall (my first at the paper), I covered high school games that were 70-0, 60-0 and 56-7 (that was a district championship game). The closest game I had all year was 28-16, I think.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

We've had the Michigan mercy rule (running clock up 35+) three times since 2001 in the state football championship games. There was a 42-0 in 2001 (led by MSU QB Drew Stanton), a 49-0 in 2002 and a 55-14 in 2003 (including four TDs by current UM RB Kevin Grady).

10. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Worst beating I've ever seen was a 77-0 drubbing in a football game between two schools that fall into Illinois' big school divisions. The winning team scored on all 11 of its possessions. Afterwards the losing coach understood what had happened because the last five touchdowns were recorded by second, fourth and fifth stringers. Basically said "We suck."

11. Grohl

Grohl Guest

I once covered a 103-7 girls basketball game. Score after one quarter: 41-1. (The winning team called off its press in the middle of the first quarter, leading 32-0.) Score at halftime: 64-1. I actually used it as a clip for a while, just because it was such a bizarre event.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We had a local high school hockey score that was 36-0 several years agol

Draft saved Draft deleted