1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst baseball roster decision (40-man, waive, release) ever (no trades, please)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 28, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is the first I have ever read about this.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Dodgers lost Shane Victorino twice in the Rule 5 draft. That's not the worst, but it's a notable boner.

The Padres lost Joakim Soria to the Royals in the Rule 5.

George Bell and Bobby Bonilla were also Rule 5 guys.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah. It was so long ago, it has kinda been forgotten.

4. outofplace

It was the Pirates who lost Bonilla to the White Sox in the Rule 5 draft. They were able to get him back, but it cost them a useful starting pitcher, Jose DeLeon.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Darrell Evans. Drafted by the Braves from the A's in 1968.

He was also drafted five different times by five different teams in the amateur draft (it was held twice a year in the 1960s) before finally signing with the A's.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Correct, you are.

7. outofplace

Back in the days when I was a Pirates fan. I remember the trade well. Bonilla hadn't really played much in the majors yet and hadn't shown the power that came later.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He also hadn't yet eaten himself into morbid obesity or moved to the suburbs of Connecticut and threatened to show a reporter the Bronx.

9. outofplace

All true, but he was pretty damn good as a Pirate.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Me and my 50 Bonilla 1987 Topps rookies agree.

11. If you want to get technical, it was the Florida Marlins that claimed Johan Santana from Houston in the Rule 5 draft. They then promptly traded him to the Twins for Jared Camp. Yes, THE Jared Camp. So that would be two horrible decisions by two different teams.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The whole of John Hart's four-season reign of error in Texas (2002-05) should be considered.

John Hart practically gave away Justin Duchscherer and Doug Davis. He traded away John Danks and Chris Young and essentially gave away Armando Galarraga to make room for Jason Jennings, yes, he who was just DFA'd on Thursday. Hart's mismanagement of the 40-man roster was so bad you can only laugh. How the fuck did he build a winner in Cleveland?

Hart was the one who ended up casting off Pudge without getting something in return and bringing in Einar Diaz to take his place. His predecessor, Doug Melvin, was poised to deal Pudge before his 10-5 date.

Draft saved Draft deleted