1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst baseball roster decision (40-man, waive, release) ever (no trades, please)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 28, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Worst baseball roster decision ever

A different way to look at it, from the Braves' standpoint:

Francoeur in 82 G: .250/.282/.352, 5 HR, 35 RBI, 32 R in 324 PA (OPS+: 67)
    Church in 30 G: .271/.364/.438, 2 HR, 17 RBI, 18 R in 110 PA (OPS+: 111)

Church has been a major improvement (albeit, so far.)

2. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Buck, not only that.
    But Francouer was taking at-bats away from Diaz as well.
    Don't think it's fair to judge the trade just based on Francoeur vs. Church numbers.

Judge it on the Braves' RF production against the Mets' RF production (because Church was brought over, specifically, to platoon with Diaz).
    It isn't close.
    The Braves' RF position has been MUCH better than the Mets' RF position since the trade.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Now, if they could only get production out of their CF position ...

For the year: .234/.320/.356. Ouch.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

There are many factors that account for the Braves' record since the trade. You can't just point at that and call it a good deal. In a straight up trade, when the guy you give up immediately goes and outplays the guy you got, that's not a good deal. If they've compensated for that in other ways, good for them. When you're not getting the most out of a player and you trade him to someone who does, while getting a lesser player in return, you don't get credit for a good deal.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

From the Braves' perspective ... it was a good deal. I bet they'd make it again.

And, yes, there are a number of other factors as to why they're better. Doesn't change the fact that Church is outperforming Francoeur AS A BRAVE. What he's doing in New York is irrelevant to the Braves' assessment of the deal as "good" or not. It's been good for them. Period.

And as chilidog said, subtracting Francoeur for Church and giving Matt Diaz more at-bats only makes it a better deal, from their perspective.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, I looked this up online, but who is the only Rule 5 draftee with 400 or more career home runs?

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, whatever. Call it what you want. I don't see how a player's performance after you trade him is irrelevant to evaluating the trade, though. I find that illogical. If Church had gone to Atlanta and hit .350 you don't think that would have had any bearing on whether it was considered a good trade for the Mets? The best player in this scenario is the Frenchy who's now playing in New York. If he had played this well for the Braves, they never would have dealt him for Church. You can't just credit them for getting rid of him without also asking why another team is getting so much more out of him.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, enjoy him when he gets on base 29 percent of the time next year. ;)

Frankly, it seems to be a good deal so far for both teams -- the Braves are getting more out of Church/Diaz than they got out of Francoeur and the Mets are getting more out of Francoeur than they got out of Church.

As you said, there are a lot more factors involved than just Francoeur's production vs. Church's production, and overall, I think anyone with the Braves would tell you it was a "good" deal. They're a better team without him. I think that would be their assessment. What he's doing in New York does not change what he wasn't doing in Atlanta.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, the damage wasn't terrible, but it was still stupid and cheap.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I really want to know this.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He played third base in the 1970s and 80s.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for? He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doing!

[​IMG]

Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps!

Draft saved Draft deleted