1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst athletic department in the country?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Racist.

2. I've never covered an entire school that was that awful, but I've covered some pretty bad teams before. Some of them can be quite enjoyable, depending on the coach. At one school, I got to a game two hours early and watched the home team's pregame shoot around. The team was awful, and the coaches knew it. Upon seeing me, one of the assistants asked if there wasn't a rec bowling league match that my paper could cover instead. When you're a high school coach begging the newspaper not to cover you, it's pretty bad.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

good teams, poorly run athletic department and SID department is, FAMU.

But I suppose that's racist also.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I had one school that was bad across the board about seven years ago. It went over two seasons without winning a single varsity game.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this qualifies, but the story is worth telling. A couple of years ago, McComb went over to Port Gibson for a football game, a region game, mind you. Everyone was there: players, coaches, fans, bands ... and no referees. Turns out Port Gibson somehow forgot to arrange for the refs. FOR A REGION FOOTBALL GAME!

We also had another situation where a local team had to postpone a region baseball game because the other team never showed. Seems they couldn't find anyone to drive the bus. The host team initially wanted a forfeit, but the association ended up making them replay it at a later date. I wrote a strongly-worded column about that one that resulted in a nasty conversation with the school superintendant. He said it put his kids up for ridicule, and I told him, no, it put him and his school district up for ridicule.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

This has been covered before, and I remember the column being very good. Too bad it's in the pay-only archive now.

Wichita West, 3-147 for a school year in its varsity sports.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56687/

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's interesting to me that this thread came along at about the same I was lamenting the suckiness of my daughter's high school teams.
    I believe you measure a team's success in how it does in league because most of the teams should be comparable.
    Football team, 1-9 last season, including 1-4 in league with the victory coming against its city archrival which was 0-10. This season 0-5 in league and lost to the archrival which brought a 20-game losing streak into the game. Boys basketball will be 0-10 for the second consecutive season when it loses the season finale tonight.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Welcome to Birmingham City Schools...

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I guess you forgot to add the sarcasm font because you don't know the color of my skin, my background or my heritage, newbie.

In my many years as a sports reporter, I have dealt with almost every SWAC school and have yet to find one sports information department with quality media guides (some never had any), updated stats and rosters on its web site and reliable sports information contacts.

My frustration with SWAC schools has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with being horrible at doing their job to provide quality and updated information to the media.

Carry on.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at what point in life did you decide you wanted to be a hall monitor? did you grow up in a single-parent family?

Draft saved Draft deleted