1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst athletic department in the country?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm curious if anybody else has covered an athletic department that was as bad overall as this one high school in my town.

This year the football team went 0-10, closest game was a 28-point loss.
    The volleyball team had it's best season ever, went something like 7-15.
    Boys cross country was last in the league. Girls had four runners.
    The boys basketball team is 0-22. Girls are 2-20 and haven't won a game in league play.
    Boys and girls winter track teams finished last in the league, no first-place finishes in any event.
    Wrestling and swimming teams are winless.

I'll be surprised if any of the spring sports teams do much better.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We have one in our area that a couple of years ago, the boys basketball team won one game and the girls team went winless, the football team went winless, and the baseball team won three games. The soccer team went to state, though, the only success they had.

3. why is this on the journalism topics board?

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was asking other journalists if they have ever covered a school that bad.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True story: After Western Michigan fired Jack Harbaugh as football coach several years ago, Bo Schembechler labeled the WMU athletic department with that very phrase. Actually, it was "That is the worst athletic department in the entire United. States. of AMERICA!"
    A few months later, a higher-up in the U-M athletic department applied for a job as WMU's AD.
    As a reference, the person put down -- wait for it -- yes, Bo Schembechler.

it's all I got...

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

If we're lucky, someone from ESPN is reading this, will pitch this as a concept and we will see a state-by-state rundown during the summer.

7. ... And Bill Simmons will take credit for the idea.

But seriously. JT, do you drink at work? If not, I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to start.

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Oh, I've got one.

- Football was 0-10 this year, has lost 28 straight games and lost by scores of 76-0, 63-0, 66-7, 56-0, 55-0 and 52-0.
    - Boys basketball team is 1-20
    - Girls basketball is 0-19
    - Volleyball was 0-8
    - Cross country teams finished last in the region for both boys and girls.
    - Baseball team was 1-18 in 2008 and doesn't look like it'll be improved.
    - No softball, swimming, tennis, golf or lacrosse teams. Soccer teams are no good, but not sure what their records were.

9. Taylee

Taylee Member

Local school has football, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls cross country, girls volleyball, girls tennis and boys golf in the fall and recorded one victory in 2006. Big school started playing lower-division schools in non-league and think they combined for five wins last fall.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Alcorn State.

NEXT!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Savannah State

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

What kind of volleyball season is 8 matches? You should be able to get that in two weekends early in the season at tournaments.

Draft saved Draft deleted