1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst. AP. Gamer. Ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Our papers are paying the AP to pay stringers for this crap?

Bad on so many levels. Besides that it's WNBA ...
    _______

Silver Stars 71, Sun 58
    Eds: SUBS lede to CORRECT Silver Stars sted Silver Spurs.
    UNCASVILLE, Conn. (AP) — Guard Becky Hammon scored 20 points to lead the San Antonio Silver Stars past the Connecticut Sun 71-58 on Saturday night.
    Forward Sophia Young added 17 points and eight rebounds for San Antonio. Douglas and Lindsay Whalen led the Sun with 15 points each.
    Connecticut jumped out an 4-0 lead, but San Antonio quickly matched that and the teams traded baskets for the next seven minutes to end the first quarter tied at 17.
    The Silver Stars pulled away in the second quarter with an 8-0 run, holding the Sun without a field goal for more than three minutes.
    Strong free throw shooting helped Connecticut battle back over the final five minutes of the first half. The Sun made 7-of-8 in the closing minutes of the second quarter, and a lay-up by Katie Douglas in the final second before the break cut the lead to 39-36.
    San Antonio lead the entire third quarter. The Sun appeared on the verge of tying the game after narrowing the gap to 52-50, but a pair of baskets by Hammon within a 14-second span in the final minute of the quarter extended San Antonio’s lead to 56-50.
    The Silver Stars carried that momentum into the fourth quarter, outscoring the Sun 15-8.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Wow, this thread title is really clever. Kudos.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Any chance this is the Sun's sports information person's copy, that the AP spend 90 seconds cleaning up before putting it on the wire? Reads a lot like (bad) SID copy.

4. Reads like one of our staffers' game stories.

Brutal.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

That's funny -- I was just thinking the same thing.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ditto

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The AP stopped stringing games from what I understand. Our former WNBA writer used to do it, but last year he was cut out. They may be re-writing it on the desk, or taking the Sun sports staff.

I did the WNBA roundup last night, I didn't give it a good look. SHIT!!!!!

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]I was very impressed with their outstanding anecdotal lede and their great use of quotes.[/blue]

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Considering the CWS opener was a blowout, it seems like AP could have moved more than five paragraphs the first time around. Good thing I'm in the Central time zone.

10. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Keep in mind: This is the version that has the correct team name in it.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]Dammit, who scored the first couple of baskets in the fourth quarter! That's an obvious hole in this story.

12. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

The AP has its head up its ass. They didn't stop stringing these games, they just got cheaper in some places with how much they pay the stringers. That means they hire cheaper/worse stringers.

Draft saved Draft deleted