1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Announcers Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Nov 9, 2010.

1. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Mike Adamle....... look up any clip of him in WWE and you'll see why.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can't we just name the award after Tim McCarver and get it over with? It's like a class in bonehead baseball with him, making his point four or five different ways, no matter how many innings it takes or how insignificant the play becomes as a result of future events.

OTOH, the screaming does help Johnson when he's announcing MMA.

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

He's never been popular among the Bama masses, for whatever reason. He's the only one I remember, so I can't compare it to anybody else.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I really miss that animated baseball that used to explain the game with McCarver, what was that thing's name...Scooter or something like that?

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Todd Harris, unfortunately, is still employed. He did play-by-play for ESPNU's coverage of Maryland-Miami last week. He was teamed with David Pollack, by all accounts a qualified color guy. Strangely, Todd kept disagreeing with David on almost everything.

Todd made two or three mistakes on almost every series. He kept repeating how amused he was by Miami's rather mundane nicknames for their defenders. He said Miami fans "came out in force" when the stadium was about 20 percent full.

He comes across as an arrogant nitwit who doesn't bother with game preparation. I honestly can't believe ESPN continues to employ him. I remember his Indy Racing League coverage. It was brutal.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

aka Peter Puck's long-lost evil cousin?

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Deion Sanders showing Tim McCarver some love:

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Chip Caray, especially when he said "Kapaya!" for every home run.

I'd personally love to handcuff Tim Brando to see if he could give the Geico Halftime Report without using his hands.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thom Brenneman is not a good fit for football. With that said, there is a reason why Jim Mora Jr. is a loose cannon and a motor mouth.

Wimpy helped soften the cushion that is Hawk. Shit, even Steve Stone prefers to stay on radio with Ed Farmer and not go near Hawk.

spnited, I'll see your Kevin Harlan and raise you another Chiefs announcer: Mitch Holtaus. Good god almighty than man can exaggerate and sound pompous as a homer announcer.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

When you grow up in these parts with the likes of Gib Shanley and Nev Chandler doing radio for Browns games, to listen to a Opie-like Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken, who spends most of his time laughing like an oaf, it makes one's ears bleed.

RIP, Gib and Nev.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Santo is awful, but I kind of enjoy him. He keeps me laughing on summer nights.

His basketball counterpart, Slick Leonard, won three ABA titles as a coach with the Pacers and an NCAA title as a player at Indiana, but his deepest insight in any game is "Mark, we need a basket." Again, drags down a pretty good announcer in Mark Boyle, but Boyle (like Pat Hughes) does a great job of playing off him.

I enjoy listening to Hughes because he knows exactly how to handle Santo.

As far as pxp guys go, after Todd Harris had the reins of ABC/ESPN coverage for so many years, it's no wonder nobody watched IndyCar racing.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yeah, no confusing Todd Harris for Bob Jenkins in covering a race.
    About the only thing in Todd's defense is at least he didn't get super excited at the end of the 2006 Indy 500 and scream that Hornish just won the Daytona 500.

Draft saved Draft deleted