1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Announcers Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, we've had the best announcers thread recently, and in dishonor of Joe Morgan's long overdue dismissal, I thought we'd tee up a discussion of the worst in sports behind the microphone or camera.

Feel to fee to contribute anyone from a lifetime un-achievement perspective or ongoing as someone butchers something especially noteworthy--sort of like a commercials you hate thread for the voices and faces of sports announcing.

The first name I'll offer is one Thom Brenneman from last week's Falcons game. Look, it would be nice if you can maybe tell me something I don't know or don't see during a broadcast. But, for god sakes, don't absolutely whiff on not one, not two, but three different plays where I can see what's happening live is not what you're describing. Nice hair, Thom, decent pipes, but try to see what's frickin' happening, dude.

Oh, and one more: Jim Mora. Please keep him off Falcon games. Adds nothing or even less. Kind of like at the end when he coached the Falcons.

Have at it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ron Santo. Not cute. Not funny. Brings down a quality broadcaster in Pat Hughes.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This thread starts and stops with Hawk Harrelson.

When you can't tolerate watching a game because of an announcer, you know he's bad.

4. Scouter

Scouter Member

This.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

This plus another this.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No one, especially in Chicago, will ever believe this, but when Harrelson did Red Sox games in the late '70s he was very good. Honest. Of course, he only did color.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

John Sterling, and it's not even close. My 8 year old son announces his pretend games as this fool and thinks of him as the Voice of baseball - drives me nuts.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is Todd Harris still employed?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that is hilarious and i'd bet he is better than sterling.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, guy, if you don't prevetn that kid from listening to John and Suzyn, child protective services might come after you.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

During the playoffs I made him listen to ESPN, but during the season, I don't let him watch so I don't have much of a choice.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you can, go back and find the broadcast of the Indianapolis 500 the first year Danica Patrick raced. They never let him do it again. The absolute, hands down worst job of broadcasting a sporting event I have ever watched.

Draft saved Draft deleted