1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst album you still own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Mar 7, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I might be the minority, but I really liked "Floored." I was glad there was a lot of diversity in the CD. If every song sounded like "Fly," I don't think it'd be as strong.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Hooba stank alright ;D :-X

Couldn't tolerate that album.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

God damn. I liked that album, too. Still do. But I hated "The Reason."

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not saying all the songs should have sounded like "Fly." I agree, they shouldn't. The biggest problem I had after hearing the album was it sounded to me that Sugar Ray had a sound they liked that wasn't going to get played. So some producer gave them "Fly" and said, you can do what you want with the rest of the album, but this is going to sell. They agreed and every single they had after that sounded like "Fly," even though I don't think that's the kind of music they intended to play when they first formed.

Oh, and I still get a kick out of the YouTube clip where Mark McGrath is outside a club and some guy yells, "Sugar Ray? More like ... Sugar GAY!" and McGrath gets all indignant about it.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Spacehog. Horrible decision then, can't even unload it at a used shop now.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll give you that. If you listen to "Lemon-aid and Brownies," their first album, it's very much like "Floored" sans "Fly." So, yeah, it looks like the producer wanted a big hit. Unfortunately, they took "Fly" and ran with it on "14:59," and even worse, then became very, very light on their next album, "Sugar Ray."

I stopped buying their albums after "14:59."

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Might be the worst band name in a generation filled with them.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know ... Mangled Baby Ducks is pretty bad.

(Oh, sorry, that's the name of a jelly.)

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"Sugar Ray" would be right up there with "Hoobastank" for me, but it was stolen with most of my CDs in 2003. I wonder how the thief felt when he tried to get cash for that and Hootie and the Blowfish's "Musical Chairs," which would probably top my list if I still owned it.

"14:59" was part of the bounty, too. I picked up another copy because it was $2.99 at a used CD store, and it actually is better than I remember it.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't mind "14:59" so much. Sure, it's lighter, but it still has some good tunes. "Sugar Ray" was too radio-friendly for me. It was so far from the Sugar Ray I liked that it turned me completely off.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead

Music notwithstanding, that's the worst IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted