1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst airport in the USA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 10, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuckabuncha LAX. And Newark too, just for good measure. And Cleveland, just because.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The few times OI've gone through there I thought I was in a third-world country. I kept looking for the chickens people were going to bring on the plane with them.

Philadelphia has to rank right up there with the worst.

I went through MSP this year and I have to say, the rental car place is hard to find but it worked wonderfully. East off, easy return.

Denver is a superb airport. For all the grief they took when it opened, it works very, very well and the rental car place is very convenient and on the way out, so you don't end up backtracking.

PDX is nice too.

Many western airports have seen constant upgrading in the past 20 years as the population has increased. I avoid LAX and fly into Burbank; it's old but it's very convenient to north LA.

I have never flown into Atlanta, or any NYC airport except Westchester, which is worth any wait because it's so convenient to the areas north of the city. And I haven't been in Detroit since the remodel; in 2001 it was like Moscow.

3. Rick Vaughn

Rick Vaughn New Member

I used to play basketball with this guy who is a pilot for Northwest. He said the worst three are La Guardia, JFK and Newark.

From my own personal experience, it's Newark. Once flew to Japan to visit my sister and on the way back, after about 20 straight hours of flying, had a layover in Newark, got stuck on the landing strip for 45 minutes and it took an hour to get my bags. Throw in customs and I missed my next flight.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of the west coast, for as much as San Jose and Silicon Valley have grown the San Jose Airport is a complete fucking joke.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not bitter still, eh? :D

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

What are these "airports" about which y'all speak?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, when I pay that much for a flight I don't expect to physically work harder than the airlines do to get me where I want to be. They coulda at least put me in the right fucking state. ;D

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At least they are working on it, however, or have been the past couple times I've been through there. New rantal car facility, etc., same as Oakland and at SFO, which now has its rental car place in San Bruno, two exits up 101 toward the City.

The nice thing about flying into San Jose is the great view of SJSU and Spartan Stadium from about 500 feet.

Pullman has a nice airport too. (Just thought I'd throw that in.) Great view of Wazzu flying in, no problem finding your rental car, and it's only five minutes to Wazzu or Idaho, which is the only reason to fly into Pullman anyway.

And even tho DIA is out in the country (but that's why it has so many runways compared to Stapleton), you can generally be downtown in 20 minutes, there are now lots of hotels on Tower Drive, right off Pena, and the E-470 toll road (thanks. Mile High!) is the best $4 you'll ever spend if your headed toward Cheyenne or Colorado Springs.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Laugh if you want, but if you're flying into the Bay Area, fly into Oakland...

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Flew in one night when Wazzu was getting busted up by USC back in 1996 or 1997 ... pretty cool view, for sure.

I'll second San Jose as a toilet.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I grew up minutes from the San Jose airport and I think I've flown out of there once or twice in the last 25 years...

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Can't stand Atl. Expensive parking, pain in the ass to get in and out of, rude people, way too much traffic (which goes hand in hand with rude people), etc., etc., etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted