1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst access?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Doug Walker. He's had Weis and Saban back-to-back (with a little Shula thrown in).

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'll concur that the folks covering Auburn and Georgia have the best gigs in the SEC in terms of access and SID assistance.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I have to go with Saban. He doesn't allow his assistants to speak to the media and freshmen are off limits, no matter how much they're playing. I remember one time someone at LSU brought Michael Clayton (who was a freshman at the time) to the post-game interview room and that Monday the media got a nice little tongue-lashing from the SID about requesting freshmen.

But the best Saban story is his first year at LSU, he invited all of the everyday beat writers into his office for a little chat session. He laid the groundwork on how he deals with the media and what he expects from us in return (as far as courtesy and whatnot). Then he says something to the effect of "I don't want it to sound like a dictatorship. I have an open door policy." A month or two down the road, I call his office hoping to get a Q&A with him for our football tab and his secretary says "Coach Saban doesn't give one-on-one interviews."

And then there was the time Saban closed off practice to the media, except for the first 10 minutes (basically the stretching period) and during that period, no cameras were allowed. No big deal, because a lot of places close off practice, but it got real ugly later in the season with a certain WWL was allowed backstage access to practice while the rest of us media clowns stayed outside.

I, unfortunately, never dealt with DiNardo. I got hired to cover LSU right as Saban was hired. But I've heard stories of how DiNardo would invite members of the press over to his house on Sundays for a cookout. I heard stories of how DiNardo would personally return any call made to his office. I guess that's why he didn't last. He was too nice. Oh, and there was also that losing thing.

4. Seconded on DiNardo. Maybe not such a great coach, but great to talk to -- lot of funny stories. Pete Carroll is also good. Rutgers has a pretty open setup, perhaps because Schiano saw how it could work as an assistant at Miami.

I'm rather surprised no one has nominated Joe Paterno/Penn State for worst access. I've found the players, over the years, to be smart and interesting, but Joe doesn't make them "available" (hate that term) more than twice a week, if that.

I think I'd hate playing for a coach who doesn't trust his players with the media. Wonder if plays a small factor in some guys picking a school? I think it would have to.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyonemention Saban yet? ;)

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Granted this was San Diego State, but a couple years back, I called the head coach's secretary who put me through immediately to the head coach. The guy was sick, could barely talk, but still gave me five minutes about a local kid that played for him and was signed as an undrafted free agent. I now know it will never get any easier than that.

Edit: It just occurred to me that it was the offseason, so that might have also had something to do with the ease of it.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Hey, Jay Paterno is made available. What more could you want than the smarmy nepotistic sneers of a douchebag cocksucker who doesn't belong anywhere near a Division I sideline?

9. With some guys that makes it harder. They go into hiding. Unless you're ESPN.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Can I get that on a t-shirt?

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

OK, I'll try again:

How do the SJers here define access? Obviously our definition is different than the defintion of the dictatorial coach and sniveling SID.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The bigger the media outlet the better the access. Funny how that works, ain't it? Sucks for the locals, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted