1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst access?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Nov 8, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard anyone covering Georgia or Auburn complain about access problems. Every reporter would love more access, sure, but those two schools are nothing like Alabama, which was like dealing with the CIA before Saban got there and is now probably more like the KGB.

Of course, Georgia and Auburn have two of the best, most helpful SID staffs in the country, so that helps a ton.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Other may know better than I, but I am told that even reporters accustomed to SEC-style media difficulties are always surprised when dealing with Michigan's fortress mentality.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mira is right, though. If only we said to those folks who limited access to one teleconference and postgame interviews that we would cut our coverage accordingly, it would be great.

Of course, readers want stories about STATE U. They don't necessarily want good stories, or deep stories or thoughtful stories but dammit, this paper should support STATE U.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And, in bitching about the SEC, I forget about Joe Pa

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I can think of only one BCS school on the West Coast where access during football season could be construed as difficut, Washington. TW runs a very tight ship, but players and coaches are always available on Mondays and always after games.

And the head coach at the most successful school, USC, might be one of the best in providing access. Of course, he's got an outstanding SID who understands the importance of the LA media, but Tessalone was great even during the Paul Hackett disaster years.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

What is everyone's idea or definition of access?

How many D-I or BCS coaches can you schedule a one-on-one (phone or in-person) interview with?
    Which schools will get players for one-on-ones (in person or on the phone)?

At least in the SEC, some of the coaches will do a Sunday teleconference call that can be useful; usually they're fairly relaxed and willing to talk.

The weekly conference calls for each league are feast or famine; coaches nobody wants to talk to aren't getting questions; successful coaches are getting swamped and you have to be lucky to get a question in. Also, with some leagues, the weekly call is only access to a coach; that means that week's opponent's beat writers have to get a few quotes to get them through the week.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'll second the SEC, though I've heard Georgia is just fine (correct me if I'm wrong).

Put Bill Snyder and any of his disciples on the worst list. Bob Stoops may be the one exception, but even he's not great.

Yeah, if you're counting the first 100, I bet all 100 are big-time college football programs. The coaches are completely unreasonable bullies.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Nick Saban? What a SWEETHEART!

rb

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was SID at a mid-major D1, I quoted an assistant basketball coach in a release. Head basketball coach then said he didn't allow his assistants to be quoted, just him. Nobody was displeased when he left -- in a lateral move, at best -- and many were happy when he got canned from that job and the AD's statement on the school's Web site pretty much slammed him.

10. Mira

Mira Member

I'm talking major DI school. I might be ignorant, but don't call me Shirley.

I agree wholeheartedly that readers don't care about how, when or why we talk to coaches or players, they simply want to read the stories. It just bites that access is limited, that's all I'm saying.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ben Howland, UCLA. It's not close. Everyone else is vying for second.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama's current SID (the main guy, not the football guy) is mucho helpful and sympathetic, but his hands are tied by the little coach in the corner office.

Draft saved Draft deleted