1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst accents in a mainstream movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sure I posted this earlier, but Kate Beckinsale in Van Helsing was painful to listen to.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Jessica Simpson in Dukes of Hazard

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Church of baseball speech was Annie's, from the opening of the film. Crash Davis' speech was just a list of his beliefs, which some attempt to quote on cue, and others think is some of the worst dimestore philosophy put on celluloid in the past 20 years.

She spoke?

Good to know.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Southern accents are obviously more difficult than people think. I thought it was odd to cast an Aussie and a Brit as the leads in Cold Mountain, but Renee Zellweger's "Southern" accent in that pic frightened me.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Absolutely awful.
    As is Angelina Jolie's in 'Alexander.'
    They both sound like they're spies from Pottsylvania trying to chase down moose and squirrel.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Spelling corrections:

Nicolas Cage
    Dukes of Hazzard

Sincerely,

Stat Boy

As for the accent of my nemesis in "Johnny Dangerously," I kinda liked the farging icehole.

Sincerely,

Johnny Dangerously

Late nomination: Dennis Quaid in "The Big Easy."

Sincerely,

Every Cajun and Yat in Louisiana

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Knock out dees wall, knock out dees wall and knock out dees farging wall.

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

The two worst accents in movie history are Kevin Costner in "13 Days" and Jeff Bridges in "Blown Away." Bridges plays the head of the bomb squad who is supposedly an old member of the IRA. He goes back and forth between the worst Boston accent of all time, mixed in with an occasional Irish accent, and then back to a flat regular voice. The strangest goddamn thing of all time. The funny thing is, it looks even worse because Tommy Lee Jones managed to pull off an Irish accent with ease.

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Odd. Lived my whole life in Florida, Alabama and (for three months) Louisiana.

And I'm a "midland."

Probably from when my accent got screwed up growing up around all the transplants in St. Petersburg.

But my sister definitely sounds like a hick most of the time.

10. There's a good story on the commentary (or maybe it's just one of the extras, but somewhere on the DVD) about how they tried to change one of Malkovich's lines and he really fought it. It turned out to be because he had taped an old Russian woman reading all his lines and learned them that way. He didn't have the accent down enough to say new lines.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Southern accent department:

-- Alicia Silverstone in the Queen Latifah movie
    -- all the Californians in "Savannah" (the TV show)
    -- the fat pig in Varsity Blues
    -- all the whiners in Steel Magnolias (Olympia Dukakis is as southern as a Greek fucking salad)

The closest dialectic match abroad I've heard is in southwestern England. No surprise, really, since that's where a lot of our people were extracted.

12. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Well m vote for best accent easily goes to Cary Elwes in Robin Hood, Men in Tights.

Draft saved Draft deleted