1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst accents in a mainstream movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Ugh, Drew Barrymore in Ever After, a reprisal of the Cinderella story. At times during the movie, she attemped some kind of British accent and failed miserably.

Also, the guy doing the Newfoundland accent in the Nissan Bonavista commercials. It's terrible. No one should be allowed to affect a Maritime/Newfoundland accent unless he has spent a significant amount of time there.
    P.S. Newfies do not say 'Lord t'underin' Jesus' as much as people think they do.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I suppose it's true about our different accents up this way. I say "I suppose" because, although I can't really tell the difference, enough people not from here have mentioned it.

And my accent is North Central -- "what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

Hmmm, I wonder why that is? :D

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Hahaha, speaking of Fargo, I just took that gotoquiz someone posted earlier in the thread. My result? I'm from North Central which means ...

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

So uh, yeah ... eh ...

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Nicole Kidman has turned in some pure shit, but her Russian accent in The Birthday Girl is perhaps one of the best voice transformations I've ever heard.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

To quoteDorothy Parker, Costner "runs the gamut of emotions from A to B".

He's about the most one dimensional actor (perhaps other than Keanu Reeves) around . Bull Durham was great because of Sarandon & Robbins.
    Costner's monologue "I believe in the church of baseball" is just plain embarrassing.

And a lot of the dreadful fucking movies he's been in have been because of him.

7. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

haha... ah yes.. Waterworld.. by far the worst movie ever made....

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Brits are so much better at doing American than vice versa it's not even funny.

Hugh Laurie, guys who play Jimmy and Stringer in The Wire, etc.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

and he seems he gave up trying halfway through the movie. Goes from this bad English accent to basically Kevin Costner

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dead. To. Sxy.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

How could you fargin' iceholes forget the guy who played Roman Moroni in "Johnny Dangerously."

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Just some notes ...

I say Madonna - in everything she's been in.

Waterworld is a terrible movie, but a guilty pleasure for me. When I saw it at Walmart for $5.50, I snatched it up, went straight home after work and watched it. Truly bad, but I love it for some reason. Also "The Postman" stinks pretty mightily.

One quote I'll always remember from Far And Away from Tom Cruise: "That ... red ... head ... ... has a bite ... ... that stings!"

About the only thing I remember at Robin Hood Prince of Thieves is swabbing the blood from my ears in the theater when Mary Masterantoniowhatverthafuck screams "ROOOOOOOOOBIIIIIIIIIIIIN!" Good gawd!

Draft saved Draft deleted