1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst accents in a mainstream movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Costner is a good actor who has been in more than his share of fucking dreadful movies...

He's also been in some pretty great ones like No Way Out, Dances With Wolves, JFK, Upside of Anger, Untouchables etc...

His accent or lack there of in Robin Hood ruined that movie...

Tom Cruise in Far and Away deserves mention...

I love Sean Connery, but he's played Irish roles in a few movies where he does nothing to try to change his Scottish accent...

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Perhaps a bit of a threadjack, but it's painfully apparent on radio commercials when the advertiser in question has hired people not from Chicago to do a Chicago accent. Instead of sounding like Dennis Franz or Dennis Farina (wait -- does every actor with a think Chicago accent have to be named Dennis?), they sound like some sort of strain of deep Brooklyn.

3. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Great line, PDB. It was PAINFUL to watch (listen to).

4. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

Fargo... that movie had hilacious accents... sorry to burst everyone's bubble.. but until you head into the Northwoods of MN, NO ONE in Fargo actually sounds like they do in that movie... trust me... I'm from there!

5. Can't argue with Cage in "Con-Air."

I will submit as a runner-up, though, Heath Ledger in "Monster's Ball."

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, Costner's accent truly sucked in Con Air. What the heck do you want from a movie like that?

He has really done a lot of awful movies, but I don't really blame him for all of them. The hatchet job screenwriter Dana Stevens did to Michael Shaara's novel bugs me to this day. I love the book. Can't even watch the movie.

(and here, OOP veers off course)

Aside from changing the love interest from tough, intelligent and sexy but damaged to a whiny single mom, they made Costner's character into a selfish asswhole rather than the likeable overgrown kid he was in the book (think a 40-ish Nuke Laloosh, but smarter). I'd have loved to see Costner in that role if they'd written him right.

(back on course)

Maybe we need a thread on great movie accents. I don't even know if it's accurate, but I always loved Gene Wilder's performance as a Polish Rabbi in The Frisco Kid, even back when I was a 7-year-old kid seeing it in the theaters.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I agree with the sentiment ... and that analogy is without peer.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Good call, but Tom Cruise's accent was worse than his ex's in that farce of a film.

Can't believe I actually watched that at a theater.

9. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

I can't believe you did either.... I barely got through it on DVD.. in fact I think I turned it off, becuase I couldn't stand the speaking.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll add Keanu Reeves in Devil's Advocate, to the mix.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

"Tell me ya like me hat, Shannon! Tell me ya like me hat!"

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

John Lithgow in "Cliffhanger"

His "British" accent is laughable throughout.

Draft saved Draft deleted