1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst accents in a mainstream movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If all he'd ever done was Bull Durham, he's get a pass from me.

And I really liked For the Love of the Game. But that wasn't a Costner movie, really, that was a Vin Scully movie,

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Nic Cage in Con Air is like a whole different level of bad. It's by far the worst attempt of all time.

However, just to throw another one out there, John Malkovich gives Cage a run for his money with his hastily cobbled together Russian brogue in "Rounders."

"Pey de mann hes muney!"

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor.

Kiefer Sutherland in A Few Good Men.

Brett Favre in There's Something About Mary.

Martin Sheen as RFK in Whatever The Hell That Movie Was About The Cuban Missile Crisis.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Moddy's right. Or at least, more right.

No accent has ever been as atrocious as Cage's in Con Air. That could've been a pretty decent action movie. But from the very second Cage opens his mouth and begins to speak, it's ruined.

"Put the bunny back in the box."

I'd toss this out as the worst line, both in terms of writing and performance, in the history of cinema.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nicole Kidman from Far And Away is still on the board? :eek:

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I love that, somewhere in the United States, carbonated drinks are called "pop." I don't feel so alone now. :)
    "Whoa."

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I don't know how I got this. I've lived in West Texas all but a few years of my life. I did go to third grade in Wentzville, Mo., but I don't think it had that big an impact, especially since it was 35 years ago. Of course, if the quiz had asked if "y'all" is really a word, it probably would have pegged me for a redneck right there.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Folks, I submit that John Wayne probably had the worst accents....
    Evidence?

The Greatest Story Ever Told -- as we all know, Roman centurions at the crucifixation definitely weren't speaking Roman, they were talk-ing in ve-ree pro-nounced syl-a-bles.

The Conqueror -- Quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made, to cast John Wayne is Genghis Khan, with his pardner accent, is insane.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As much as I like Scarface, Al Pacino's Cuban accent sounded like a New York Italian thug pretending to be a Latino thug.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was Renee Zellweger dubbed in "Bridget Jones's Diary" or did she actually nail that?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Coney Island?

"The Warriors shot Cyrus!"

[​IMG]

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have Midland and I always say "pop".

Now, if Double J shows up he may attest to the fact that people in his neck of Ontario (about two hours from Toronto) have a completely different accent. There are regions (particuarly in SW Ontario around Kitchener, Cambridge) where some people sound straight out of "Fargo". Seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted