1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst accents in a mainstream movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

any number of actors affectating a southern accent -- get lost, go home.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

FWIW, I think Martin Sheen did a great job in Gettysburg.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Right actor. Right president. Wrong movie. Costner's accent is beyond awful in Thirteen Days. Watching him mangling a Boston accent is like watching a dog play a trombone.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nicholas Cage in the prison break movie. Con Air? Worst accent ever.

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I agree with LJB...damn near anyone trying to do a Southern accent sux!

And Moddy....See above for Cage and his accent! LOL...It just doesn't go over well when they go for the Southern accent.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. Usually badly mutilated. I can pull it off ... then again, I'm from the South. :-\

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Costner uses about four different accents in "Robin Hood"

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Doc, I fully agree, though my deep fried countrified friends way differ.

9. The guy who played the gimp in Pulp Fiction had an awful accent as well.

10. Which is why Clark Gable as Rhett Butler isn't actually that bad. (He only agreed to do the movie on the condition he not do a Southern accent.) Fact is, if you live down these parts you realize there are tons of people who were born, raised here and never lived anywhere else, yet have hardly any trace of a southern ayac-sent.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I took a trip with my stepfather to Syracuse four years ago (he's from upstate NY, and his sister lives in Syracuse). At a gathering of my stepfather's sister's family and friends. some wiseass Connecticut native wastes little time walking up to me and asking "where's the accent?"

It's not a requirement. Contrary to what he felt, we don't all wear overalls, make out with relatives and talk with syrupy-thick accents. Thanks for the stereotype, gasbag. ::)

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Kate Beckinsale in Van Helsing (I have no clue what accent she's doing, but it's bad).

Heather Graham in From Hell (It's Irish, It's American, It's terrible)

Draft saved Draft deleted