1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipful coverage of the U.S. military

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 10, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In Southern California, the only building they are running into is a Costco. Then its back to the station for washing the pickup trucks and toy haulers, readying for the next trip to Glamis. It is an awesome gig. Heroes? Not so much.

2. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Because nothing ever catches fire in Southern California?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These jokes would be really funny if we didn't have one Firefighter's funeral last week, and hadn't lost another one this week.

4. nate41

nate41 Member

I wrote a story on an event for military kids with a parent deployed overseas. The organizer (who had no military connections) was about about as vocal and flag waving as they come. I spoke to a family who's husband/father was overseas and they were very nonchalant about it - basically, they did what they had to do and kept living their life.

There's a lot of good people serving and a lot of not so-good ones. It's dangerous to cover them all with one blanket statement, but that goes for anything.

As a sidenote, I have several friends who served and the popular thing to do is to piss on other branches - people in the infantry are stupid, Air Force is lazy, etc.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

They don't call it the Chair Force for nothing, after all.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/?bctid=51777129001

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The supermarket thing is not a joke. It's an observation.

Draft saved Draft deleted