1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipful coverage of the U.S. military

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not everyone in uniform is a hero. To say otherwise again confirms the thread's premise: that there's a bias to cheerleading in our military coverage.

2. No, but some do. And they don't get good pay, oodles of free time for their "side businesses" and a super pension as part of one of the strongest, most untouchable unions in the country. Nor do cabbies and pizza drivers get adulation and hero-worship.

It's why professional firefighting jobs are perhaps the most sought-after public employee job in the country.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always thought cheerleaders were ditzy.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

81 firefighters died in 2011. 48 of them from heart attacks.

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/media/press/2012releases/010312.shtm

Since 2007, 52% of fatalities have been to volunteers and 27% of all deaths have been classified under non-incident related.

http://apps.usfa.fema.gov/firefighter-fatalities/fatalityData/statistics

Construction workers are many times more likely to die.

http://www.lvrj.com/business/analysis-shows-construction-deaths-slowing-in-u-s-128451228.html

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't a completely fair distinction that fire fighting involves helping other people in dire circumstances while those other dangerous professions are largely just danger for the sake of business?

6. Boom_70

You could make the same case for Pro Life volunteers.

7. Dick Whitman

Are there documented cases of pro-life volunteers losing life or limb in the line of duty?

8. Boom_70

Probably not but they are saving lives.

9. Dick Whitman

Sure, but the "hero" label only seems to get affixed to those who risk their own lives at the same time.

I infrequently hear doctors called "heroes," for example.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should I let Hondo know at some point that my original post was sarcastic?

11. Dick Whitman

He's rolling.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Firefighting involves gourmet cooking and working out prodigiously as well. At least paid firefighting, as I've witnessed by the local fire truck parked at the grocery store, with five guys in there buying 200 bucks worth of food for a veritable Spanish afternoon of feasting.

Draft saved Draft deleted