1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse train wreck right now: Cowboys or Redskins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle Frosty, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As far as the ESPN leak was concerned, it would not surprise me if it was very carefully orchestrated. Shanahan and Schefter are very, very close dating back to both of their days in Denver.

If Schefter breaks that story, anybody who knows the business, can safely guess that he got the story from Shanahan. Have someone else break it and it puts a tiny shred of doubt that maybe someone else leaked it.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There's not one shred of doubt about who is leaking shit. The Shanahanagans are as transparent and obvious as you'll ever see. It's fucking obvious.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Funny-as-hell post.

The times I've caught Washington -- SNF and the Broncos game -- the skill talent on offense seemed to lack any dynamism beyond RGIII shell of himself. Compare that to, say, what Frisco has around Kaepernick.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Cowboys might actually make the NFL playoffs. Redskins might get the overall top pick --- except, of course, that they already traded it away. Looks like it might well come down to the Redskins, Falcons, Texans or Vikings --- all teams that made the playoffs last year.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, about all that talk that Jerruh needs to hire a GM:

“It’s often said, Why don’t I get someone to be the G.M.? Why don’t I get someone to pick the players?” Jones said. “Well, who in the world do you think that person, when they walk through the door and say, ‘We want to get this player, and we want to pay this player,’ what in the world do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to sit down, and I’m going to go through it, and I’m going to say, ‘Show me the player before I write the check. Show me the player. And let me see everything about the player.’ Well, rather than have that happen, I get involved in it and get to know everything there is to know about the players before they get through the door.”

I guess not having to see everything about a player, and letting the GM do his job, never occurred to him.

6. Mizzougrad96

I think any team that has a coach/GM is insane. I'm trying to think if there are any left. There are plenty where the coach has final say over the roster, but they still have a GM. Pretty sure it's like that in San Francisco, Seattle, Kansas City, Washington and a couple other places...

Jerry's whole deal is idiotic. It's not that he just craves attention, he also needs credit if the Cowboys ever win anything of significance ever again.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the Pats have a formal GM. If they do, he's keeping a real low profile. They do have front office guys who talk about the cap and stuff like that, but I'm not sure if any have the GM title.

8. Mizzougrad96

Who replaced Pioli at whatever title he had?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The man's name escapes me completely. He doesn't get much pub.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

He's going to become Al Davis one day, and the Cowboys will become the Raiders - a once proud organization that used to win a lot of championships with an eccentric but successful owner who slowly grows crazy, tightens his stranglehold on the organization and chokes it into perpetual mediocrity.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rusty, there's no "will become" about it -- that's what the Cowboys are. Only in Al's case, he was a football genius until the paranoia and then the dementia set in. Jerry never was that. He's just a fantasy football player with a lot of money. He had nothing to do with building the champions, that was all Jimmy, and their competitive teams of the 2000s were all Parcells.

Jerry is the guy who drafts Quincy Carter to show everyone how much smarter he is. If he had been in charge from the beginning, the Cowboys would have given in to Rocket Ismail's demands instead of drafting Russell Maryland.

12. Mizzougrad96

I think part of the problem with the Cowboys is that they never really have been a complete trainwreck. If they lost 10+ games for a couple years in a row, it might force some changes.

Dallas hasn't won anything of significance in a long time, but they've been at .500 or better in 9 of the last 11 seasons.

It's a lot easier to scrap a team when you go 4-12 than when you're 8-8 and are a game away from the playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted