1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse train wreck right now: Cowboys or Redskins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle Frosty, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Redskins are a bigger disaster, but far more painful to root for the Cowboys. I encouraged my sons to pick a local team and spare themselves all this, but they didn't listen. My oldest had a tough time last night.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Redskins are worse and it's not close.

Garrett is the problem in Dallas, not Romo. I know they were supposed to run on the final pick of the game, but if Garrett had been running the ball and time off the clock in the fourth quarter, they beat the Packers by two touchdowns.

It would be interesting if Jerry went after Shanahan if he gets canned in Washington. I could actually see that being a decent fit, at least for 2-3 years...

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Mizzou, you have to stop with this Shanahan-having-another-gig-after-Redskins thing. It is not going to happen. Do you watch these games?

The Shanny Redskins are the worst clock management team in the league. The special teams are historically bad. The defense is a POS. He is not a good head coach.

You need to leave 1997 and get up to 2013.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is also a not-good-head-coach who will be making $7 million to sit on his couch (or on a TV set) next year. He won't have any interest in coaching.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The one thing going for Snyder is that he's popular with other owners, because he makes money hand over fist. Other owners will hear the stories from him about what a douche Shanahan really is, and avoid giving him any money or control over their organization. I'd be stunned if it ever happened again.

It's been sort of interesting watching the coverage of the Shanahanagans from the local media vs the national media. The differences are extremely stark, in part because Shanahan is willing to leak to his lackeys at ESPN, while the local media (and LaConfora, who used to be local media) have to go elsewhere in the organization.

Anything you're hearing on ESPN is coming from Mike or Kyle. That I'm 90 percent sure of, and I lean heavily toward Mike out of the two. With ESPN folks generally being more distant from the situation, his lies and double talk come with less scrutiny and less analysis. There's fewer "wait a minute, that doesn't jibe with what you said/did a few months ago..." there. There just is. Being closer to the scene, everything that's coming up on ESPN now is in complete contradiction from everything that was said and done in the past. But Shanahan knows he can't go to the local guys with a lot of these "sources" stories because no one here would believe him, having been so close to the situation for so long. Thus, his deceptive side of the story wouldn't get nearly the sort of play and attention it is otherwise. Just watch last week's pressers to see what I mean there.

And the biggest smoke screen in all of this is that basically Shanahan is blaming Snyder's "friendship" with Griffin (overstated, apparently) and the salary cap mess he helped create for the fact that:

A) his defense blows and can't tackle (he picked the players though)

B) his special teams is the worst football-related unit anyone who has watched the game has ever seen, perhaps ever in their lives (the coach is incompetent, and the production is downright intolerable)

C) the overall talent selection and current depth is an atrocity littered with mistakes, whether you're talking about the offensive line, the defense, and the overall makeup of the roster

Those are the real problems. Those are all directly connected to Shanahan and his decision making. But apparently none of that becomes the ongoing problem it is if Snyder didn't spend a few minutes talking with Griffin one time after a game.

Please. It's a fucking joke. I swear Shanahan watched Slapshot once, saw Reggie Dunlop leaking stuff to Dickie Dunn, and thought it would work in this day and age.

And never mind the fact that once they're on the field, the inept coaching staff is completely incapable of coming up with even competent adjustments, never mind the horrendous clock management. That it even comes in to play is a testament to the fact that the players are at least trying. They're just at a horrendous disadvantage every week.

6. Mizzougrad96

I wouldn't want him, but I don't think he'll be out of work for more than a year unless he's retiring. I think people will blame Snyder for things not working out in Washington.

There was a story a week or so ago that Houston would be interested in Shanahan if he gets fired.

I don't think he's as damaged as you think he is. I wouldn't want him as my coach, but it only takes one.

I will be very surprised if he's not hired by the beginning of the 2015 season and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a new job a few weeks after he gets canned in Washington.

7. LongTimeListener

NFL Network had something yesterday that Kyle doesn't want to work for his dad next year because he wants to chart his own path and stand on his own merits.

I hope he likes NCAA Division III, that's where he belongs.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There was another story 10 minutes later that Houston would have no interest in Shanahan if he gets fired.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The bulk of this post reminds me a lot of what was going on with the Broncos in Shanahan's final years with the organization. The defense was terrible, so was the depth all around.

I remember the problems on defense well. First he had Jim Bates as offensive coordinator, but he didn't have the personnel Bates needed to make his scheme work. Then he made Bob Slowik the defensive coordinator. Slowik is decent when coaching up defensive backs, but he's the wrong guy to name defensive coordinator.

And guess what... Slowik is on the Redskins staff as the linebackers coach. If Shanny stays another season and Haslett gets fired, then Slowik gets promoted from within, then bet on the defense getting worse.

As for the depth, it was bad when Shanny was there and he wasn't helping matters by trading up for guys, under the belief he was just one or two players away from another Super Bowl. The problem now is that Shanny traded away a bunch of early picks for a guy intended to be the face of the franchise, but he's done a terrible job of drafting for depth with the picks he still had.

I know everyone likes to talk about Terrell Davis being the sixth-round guy and Rod Smith as the undrafted rookie who came out of nowhere (even though Smith was signed by the Broncos when Wade Phillips was head coach) but any good GM knows you can't primarily look at such players as potential starters, but as depth players who, if they become starters, it's a bonus.

I don't take away from the good things Shanny did in Denver, but he's absolutely not the guy to get final say on everything. That's what he will want wherever he goes. And while there may be certain teams that could be a good fit for his offense, I can't think of one team who would give him the control he wants.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Regarding your point about counting on low-round picks as starters: In general you are correct, but I am convinced Shanahan could take my mechanic or my barber and make him into a 1,000-yard rusher.

11. LongTimeListener

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dallas-cowboys-release-jerry-jones,2815/

12. Mizzougrad96

Well, you can get in serious trouble for commenting about someone who is still under contract. Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted