1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse train wreck right now: Cowboys or Redskins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle Frosty, Dec 15, 2013.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

I stand by this statement:

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Well, they're in cap hell starting next year, so whatever plans Jerry has will be limited.
    He's running on the fumes of the talent hand-picked by Parcells, so change is coming either way.
    I think if they shit their pants in these final two games - and i do not see this defense putting together four quarters of tight football - then he needs to reboot.
    He is trying - painfully hard at times.
    Snyder is just a malevolence, a preening snot.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Being in cap hell is also a result of the GM problem.

What Jones is "trying" to do is maximize dollars and publicity. If the wins come, that's cool, too, but that is not the top priority.

Selling the "brand" and getting in the spotlight is what is important to Jerry. Getting credit if his team has success is more important to him than actually having success.

That's one giant reason significant change rarely comes to Dallas anymore -- Jerry hates to admit he has made a mistake. The best GMs are the ones who minimize risk and can admit their mistakes and move on. Jerry doesn't do either well. He loves risky moves -- might be the old oil wildcatter in him -- and will stick with guys who are on the way down. Good organizations like New England know it's better to get rid of a guy a year too early than a year too late. Jerry has never learned that and at this point it's unlikely he ever will.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

You're talking about the Cowboys tonight, Joe.
    He won.
    Jerry might not know how to pick a strongside linebacker but he's no fool.
    He admitted Ryan's defense was a mistake. He has done it before.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. This particular Cowboys team does not look like a Super Bowl team in any way, shape or form.
    However, in recent years, we HAVE seen mediocre teams get hot at exactly the right time and ride it all the way to the Super Bowl. The 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, the 2010 Packers and 2011 Giants all come to mind. All had deep flaws (albeit much, much better defenses or better talent than the 2013 Cowboys), and rode a hot streak to a championship. In a given year, why can't Dallas do the same?

Most NFL games are decided by a handful of plays. For whatever reason, for a very long time, a number of those decisive plays have not gone in the Cowboys' favor. Eventually it seems like the law of averages would catch up to them, they catch a few breaks, and find a way to get there.
    Of course, if that happens, there's no way it's sustainable. Another Cowboys dynasty is not in the cards in the near future. If they ever do win one -- thereby somehow validating Jerry Jones' approach for the last two decades -- I'd put money on them being right back between 7-9 and 10-6 the following year.

It's kind of like hitting on 17 in blackjack. It's not a winning strategy long-term. In fact, it's a downright dumb one. You'll bust way more often than you connect. But eventually you're going to catch a 4 and look like a genius. In the NFL, catching that 4 one time out of 100 is all you need to turn a mediocre career or decade into a great one.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

One thing I found interesting in Jimmy Johnson: A Football Life is an old Bob Costas interview with Jimmy and Jerry, post-divorce. Costas asks Jimmy flat out if he thought he knew more about football than Jerry. Jimmy says, 'Well, yeah, I have been studying this for 30 years.'

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Jerry is very good at what he does.

What he does, however, is not building championship-level football teams. It's generating publicity.

Yes, he fired Ryan. It happens on occasion. But how many players and coaches has he held on to well past their expiration date? It will happen with Garrett (if it hasn't already) because Jones wants desperately to be seen as the guy who discovered this boy wonder and allowed him to blossom into a great coach -- "I knew it all along." It took a disaster for him to get rid of Phillips and will probably take a similar disaster for him to part with his football son. Until then, Jones believes he is one or two players or an assistant coach away from watching Garrett lead the Cowbots to the Super Bowl.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Garrett is a coach's son, Princeton-educated and is tight with Jimmy.
    Plus he is a piece, however small and remote, of the team's glory days.
    I don't think Jerry thinks he discovered Garrett, but he is going to have to fire him.
    As he had to fire Dave Campo, who had been with the team going back to the Johnson years.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'll bet Jerry Jones has a three-octave fart, too.

Right there, in fact. ... Cowboy Up!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

You know, I've been on my best behavior here today, imbued with the spirit of the season of peace and joy, and then somebody's got to come in here and make a fart joke.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm just happy this is a discussion. Next week's game should be all kinds of shitty.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Redskins are worse. Nobody has yet marched in protest of the Cowboys' nickname.

Draft saved Draft deleted