1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse than Theismann's injury?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 11, 2008.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Now that it's regulated, it's really no worse than boxing. Though injuries such as this really aren't possible in boxing.

In terms of sheer "holy shit!" factor, this has Theismann's break beat. Yuck.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Holy shit that was disturbing

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

WFW

I would like to see a few more slo-mo frames right before contact.

And this really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's entirely possible. Dave Dravecky and Tom Browning broke their arms just trying to throw a ball.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe he had a stress fracture he didn't know about? It could have gone from the force of the kick.
    Just speculating.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In terms of pure graphic-ness (if that's a word), I'd say that's the worst I've seen. The fact that the guy is in shorts and bare feet (as opposed to football pads/shoes) and that there's a clean camera angle only adds to it.

Theismann will always be the gold standard because he was a famous player and it was Monday Night Football, but this one really looks worse.

As for the stress fracture theory, that was the talk going around after Prothro's injury. He took a low shot on a punt return early in that game and limped off. The broken leg only finished off an earlier injury.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Remember that high school cross country runner a couple years back? Girl in Ohio had a stress fracture, but wanted to run her last race at the state meet. Doctors told her not to, she did anyway, and she was in the top five or top 10 until she got about 50 yards from the finish. Then, her lower leg pretty much exploded.
    Tough little thing crawled the last distance and finished the race. There was a camera at the finish line that got footage of the injury. Not quite as bad as this, but still pretty gruesome.

8. KG

KG Active Member

It wasn't that bad to watch. I mean it was, but it's so bizarre and looks impossibly fake that I guess it made it easier to watch.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yeah, it's so cartoonishly terrible that it's not really that bad.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It looks like one of those tricks you'd see from a random guy in school or on Letterman. Watch the video and the fighter doesn't immediately grimace or anything, as if he wasn't aware of what happened until he tried to stand on it.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've read all the responses and I'm debating whether to click the link.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Stretch Armstrong reference above is accurate. Dude's lower leg resembles Gumby.

Draft saved Draft deleted