1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse Personnel Move by your NFL Team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, May 28, 2019.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t bet on that.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Low hanging fruit. Sometimes it’s too easy.

But, I’m trying to keep it clean and I have handed the dirty baton over to others, most notably on the politics thread.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Rams have a long, proud history of trading either a star player or a prime draft pick for huge numbers of draft picks and then finding a way to do absolutely nothing with it. They did it with Dickerson, Bettis and RGIII.

Also, one of my favorite stats with the Herschel Walker trade was the insane number of players that wound up being connected to that thing in some form or fashion. Once you traced the tentacles of the spinoff trades (the Cowboys, especially, were famous for trading picks for more picks) it was well over 100 players, IIRC.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I know the Browns are the poster child for bad moves, but consider this: From 1955 to 1961, Paul Brown let go off Doug Atkins, Henry Jordan, Willie Davis, Dick Lebeau, Bobby Mitchell and Jim Marshall for practically nothing in return. (Now, some of those trades happened for key reasons...ie..Mitchell was sent to DC to get the draft rights to Ernie Davis, Atkins chafed under Brown, Willie Davis was a spare part sent to Green Bay for a dynamic receiver in Billy Howton)

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know this is supposed to be moves and not draft picks, but the Redskins and Cal Rossi deserve special mention. Redskins drafted Rossi with their first round pick, only to discover he wasn’t eligible because he was still a junior and only seniors at that time were eligible.

So next year, Redskins drafted Rossi in the first round again, only to find out he wasn’t interested in an NFL career.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

he also spawned Mike Brown in 1935.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

William Clay Ford buying the team on the day JFK was assassinated.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That reminds me: Bert Bell pushed for the NFL Draft to help the bad teams such as his Eagles. They get first pick in each round of the 1936 draft. Sign none of them.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

In 1974, the Packers gave up five draft picks — two first-rounders, two second-rounders and a third over the next two drafts — in a mid-season trade with the Rams for 34-year-old, 13-year veteran QB John Hadl. Good job, Dan Devine.

But, a butterfly flaps its wings ... yada, yada, yada ... Brett Favre, right?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The entire Joe Thomas era is X-rated for many long-time Niners fans.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Two worst moves by the Carolina Panthers in their relatively short history ...

1) Handing Washington two first-round picks, then signing Sean Gilbert to a ridiculous deal.
    2) Jerry Richardson's hire of George Seifert.

I will not argue these.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Not my team, but who would admit to being a Bucs fan, Steve Young for a second and fourth.

Draft saved Draft deleted