1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worse collapse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Sep 27, 2006.

?

Which has been the more spectacular collapse over the last week?

1. St. Louis Cardinals squander most of 8 1/2 G lead

58.8%
  2. Michigan State vs. Notre Dame

41.2%
  1. As a lifelong Cardinals fan (have you heard we're the best in baseball?), I'm embarrassed. I think we're gonna choke this one away and I agree with parts of the earlier poster who said the Cardinals are on the verge of a downturn.

2. joe

joe Active Member

As a Cardinals fan, you just said what I've said since the World Series collapse in '04. The front office mortgaged the future for short-term success -- and then they didn't even deliver on the short-term success.
    Gonna be some lean years in St. Louis the next couple of seasons. Luckily the Cubs are so fucked up that it won't matter. Unless Girardi gets the job.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Far surpasses those two.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, I disagree with this.

If you have a better record, you have a better record, period, and you deserve to be in over a team with a lesser record.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

could be the worst meltdown since game 7 of the 1985 world series!

[​IMG]

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm assuming that all those people with votes for Michigan State instead of the Cards would change their vote if the Cards don't make the playoffs. Right?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Meltdown in game 7? They never led in game 7.

Humongous difference.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nope. As been pointed out on this board, the Cards' collapse has been gradual. Sparty's was a 19-point, 20-minute stretch.

9. HoopsMcCann

they never led in a 11-0 loss? really? oh, thanks!

they led the series 3-1 and pouted like fuckin' babies after game 6... it was a meltdown. go watch it. hell, i have it on tape. i can loan it to you.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You are not up 3-1 in Game 7.

It is 3-3.

A lopsided loss in any single game does not compare to a meltdown that lasts a week or two.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It may not have been a meltdown in terms of blowing a big lead, but in terms of a mental meltdown? It was an all-time classic.

12. HoopsMcCann

Draft saved Draft deleted